If a teen gives birth while being a ward of the state.. what happens to her baby?

sjanel

Asked by sjanel at 5:48 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• hi
    think the same will apply to her baby... What powers they choose to excercise will depend on what facilties are availible to the teen when she's due i.e mother/baby units etc which will mean they neednt be apart.
    As well as this I would imagine they will consider the teens emotional health ie is abusing substances etc. although the teen is a ward of court most authorites will try to keep mum & baby together... it might be worth checking out just what her authorites polices are concerning teen moms

hope this helps

cake
    cakeforyou

Answer by cakeforyou at 6:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I'm pretty sure that they will put the baby up for adoption.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:10 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Depending on the state she lives in, the newborn will also become a ward of the state, if she is competent and level headed she can file a motion with the court ( the legal name has escaped my brain sorry) to become a legal adult and live on her own, but she must show continuation of education, and work for a living! Most states will try to find a way to keep the baby with the Mother. You can always call your local Dep. of Human Services, and get advice, or find free legal help.
    Mica30

Answer by Mica30 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think Mica30 was talking about when a person files a motion for Emancipation.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 7:07 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think it's still up to the mother what happens unless she's proved unfit. Then it would have to go to court to have her parental rights revoked. Unless she agrees to adoption that's the only way the baby would be put up for adoption.
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I'm not sure myself but if it were me, I would dare them to take my child away based solely on the fact that I was a ward of the state. I couldn't imagine them doing this, but then again it wouldn't surprise me.

Anonymous

• I am a foster parent and just as I was receiving my license, I was asked if I wanted to take a pregnant 14 year old. I didn't as I hadn't planned on taking a child until I had settled into my new house, but from my understanding it would have been temporary until they got her into a structured facility for just this type of situation. Young mothers-to-be are put in a residential facility where they learn basic life skills and parenting skills and the state helps them to develop a trade skill. After that I don't know what happens here.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2008