Divorce and financial help

how soon after you split with your husband is it possible to qualify for assistance whether it be WIC, child support or even financial aid for school? (any of it really) does it have to be after the divorce actually goes through the entire legal process? or is it as soon as you can prove autonomy through addressed bills, bank accounts, pay stubs etc? i'm trying to be responsible, and plan ahead as much as possible because i can see the final storm coming... but i want to be as prepared as possible for my kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• I would think it would be as soon as you are separated and living apart. They can't count his income or him as a person in the home if you are not living together.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I received unemployment benefits and they didn't count my husband's income. All they did was ask if we were separated, if he lived under the same roof or not. And I didn't have to prove it.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• well WIC and PA will ask you what you are getting in child support to add to whatever other income you are getting. so unless you don't want to report that i would go right away and see if you qualify.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• What is taking you so long. You should be on it right away. As soon as you have a different address, you need to apply for all of the help you can get, because it will take a while for it to all kick in for you.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 6:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• uh, i haven't even left him yet. so it's not taking too long. i'm trying to be responsible and plan ahead
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Mar. 2, 2011