Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Divorce and financial help

how soon after you split with your husband is it possible to qualify for assistance whether it be WIC, child support or even financial aid for school? (any of it really) does it have to be after the divorce actually goes through the entire legal process? or is it as soon as you can prove autonomy through addressed bills, bank accounts, pay stubs etc? i'm trying to be responsible, and plan ahead as much as possible because i can see the final storm coming... but i want to be as prepared as possible for my kids.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • I would think it would be as soon as you are separated and living apart. They can't count his income or him as a person in the home if you are not living together.

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • I received unemployment benefits and they didn't count my husband's income. All they did was ask if we were separated, if he lived under the same roof or not. And I didn't have to prove it.


    Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • well WIC and PA will ask you what you are getting in child support to add to whatever other income you are getting. so unless you don't want to report that i would go right away and see if you qualify.

    Answer by lucky35 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • What is taking you so long. You should be on it right away. As soon as you have a different address, you need to apply for all of the help you can get, because it will take a while for it to all kick in for you.

    Answer by stitchintime at 6:00 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

  • uh, i haven't even left him yet. so it's not taking too long. i'm trying to be responsible and plan ahead

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.