Divorce and financial help

how soon after you split with your husband is it possible to qualify for assistance whether it be WIC, child support or even financial aid for school? (any of it really) does it have to be after the divorce actually goes through the entire legal process? or is it as soon as you can prove autonomy through addressed bills, bank accounts, pay stubs etc? i'm trying to be responsible, and plan ahead as much as possible because i can see the final storm coming... but i want to be as prepared as possible for my kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I went the same week I moved out. I had no legal seperation. I just had to prove I lived at a different address & state he no longer resided with us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• and what kind of assistance was that for?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• For food stamps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You could apply immediatly. And that is a very wise choice especially for child support, because he will have to back pay to the date that you filed. So the sooner you file the more you will get.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I went the week after I moved out. I only filed for food stamps and WIC. I filed for child support using my attorney (my mom loaned me money for a retainer). But to get an idea, you can google child support calculator and your state to find out what the standard amount for child support is in your area and your situation.

Answer by missanc at 12:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't understand. Why would divorce qualify you for public aid? Will your husband be getting public aid, too? Were you on public aid before you married?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011