Hen should you talk to your DD about pubery, periods, sex and where babies come from?

Ok so she is only going to be 6 years old next month, but you hear of kids that start earlier and if she is anything like DH family she will probably start earlier. I was late. Anyway. I want to talk to her about this stuff before she actually starts it so when do I have the talk with her? I am also 4 almost 5 months pregnant if that makes a diffrence. How old should she be when I start talking to her about puberty or periods or where babies come from that kind of stuff? And how do you go about having the talk with them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• My daughter is 2 and I have told her already in age appropriate terms.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:15 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• The best thing is to start a conversation and let them do the asking, remembering not to over share.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 11:16 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't even know how to start the conversation. And how do you talk to a 2 year old about that? Do they actually understand at that age?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• They have books you can get at the library about age appropriate conversations. I had an in depth talk with my 7yo a few months ago. we got a book with pictures. She knows what to expect. I have also been having short convos with them for a long time.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:24 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i got my daughter a book the care and keeping of your body from american girl. it does not talk about sexx but it does help with the period and cleaning of skin etc. i had already talked to her about the period stuff. but the sex stuff is freaking me out and she is ten but she is coming to me now and if she has a question i answer it to the best i can.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I've answered a lot of questions as they come up. My kids asked a lot of questions about birth/pregnancy when I was pg with my youngest, so that covered some of the stuff about babies. Kids normally notice differences and I've used that to point out changes of puberty and things like that... my dds have noticed that I have boobs and they don't, so we've talked about how bodies change as you grow up and what some of those other changes are.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011