Stuffed peppers

Does anyone have a recipe for meat-free stuffed peppers?

CraftingMama

Asked by CraftingMama at 11:14 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• No, I don't have a recipe but I would think that you could just omit the meat and use extra filler like rice or couscous along with some cheese and/or sauce and maybe mushrooms, onions, etc.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I've never made them before... so I don't have a good recipe I can just omit the meat from.
    CraftingMama

Comment by CraftingMama (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Peppers/Detail.aspx Found this recipe on Allrecipes.com I've never made it but they have really good recipes. The only thing I do differently with my (meat) peppers is boil the peppers or steam them first so that they are not too crunchy for about 5 minutes or so.
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• That has TVP, which I don't eat. I had found that recipe already. But thanks for looking.
    CraftingMama

Comment by CraftingMama (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I do a search for all of my recipes now. It's easier than searching through my recipe books. I'd check vegetarian stuffed peppers and see what comes up. Hopefully something that you like the sound of and can eat all the ingredients.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 1:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• This is one of my family's favorites!

STUFFED PEPPERS
    (The original recipe called for brown rice, I substitute quinoa)
    4 large red or green peppers
    1 T olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 t cumin
    1 t chili powder
    1 t basil
    ½ tsp oregano
    2 cups cooked quinoa or brown rice
    1 ½ cups cooked and drained red kidney beans (or one can; really, any bean will do)
    2 T tamari
    Cayenne to taste
    1 ½ cups canned tomatoes with their juice
    1 small can tomato paste
    Thinly sliced cheese (optional) 

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Wash the peppers and cut them in half  length wise.  Remove the  seeds. Place the peppers, cut side down, on a  rack above boiling water.  Cover  the pot and steam for about 10 min or until they are just beginning to get  soft.  DO NOT STACK ON TOP OF ONE  ANOTHER...they will not steam evenly. Heat the olive oil in a large  skillet.  Add the onions, celery, cumin, chili powder, basil and oregano.   Saute until the onions are almost tender. Add the cooked quinoa and beans.  Mix well; then add the tamari and the  cayenne to taste. Mix again. Lightly oil a shallow 7 x 11 inch baking  dish.  Fill each pepper with the  bean and quinoa mixture and place the peppers side by side in the baking  dish. Mix together the canned tomatoes and the  tomato paste.  If the tomatoes are  whole, chop them up or break them up with a fork. Pour the tomato mixture over the stuffed  peppers

cont

• Cover the baking dish  with foil and bake at 350´ for 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and top each pepper with a thin slice of cheese if desired.   Return the dish to the oven and bake an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011