Long vowel sounds?

My almost 4yr old is reading words like "Up, Is, In, Not, Run" ect. I'm trying to teach him other words with the long vowel sounds like "Me, My, To" ect.

A few months ago we got in a financial rut so i ended up getting a job at a preschool, which my kids are going to now (decided to work there cuz i get 50% off tuition) and they're working on the short sounds. they don't start working on the long sounds until halfway through the 4yr old class. (he doesn't turn 4 until later this month, so he's in the 3yr old class until the beginning of next school year, if i'm still having to work)

When i have the time i sit with him i work with him on his words, but i'm not sure how to teach him his long vowel sounds. help?

oh a side note, i also need to know how to teach him his blends?

i know he's not even 4 yet, and i'm not pushing it, but i'm wanting to introduce it to him now so when he's 4 1/2 he's ready to learn it. that's my strategy, when he was 2 i introduced the potty, letters and numbers & colors when he was 2 1/2 i fully potty trained him and started sitting him down and teaching him letters, numbers, colors. when he was 3 I introduced writing letters, by the time he was 3 1/2 he was writing his name, and now he's almost 4, writing and reading some words. so now i'm introducing the long vowel sounds, and blends, so he's ready to sit and learn at 4 1/2. hope that makes sense.

TIA

armywife43

Asked by armywife43 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• well like dog-start out with "do" then end with g or like dock start out with "do" then end with "c" and "k"
    ashleyholloway

Answer by ashleyholloway at 11:25 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Check out Starfall.com.  It's a great website for that, the whole phonix thing.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 1, 2011