In need of etiquette advice - No shoes policy :/

Hi ladies, I am hoping you all can help me out . . . So, I used to work in a hospital, and often walked through biohazard with my shoes . . . thus, my husband and I developed a no shoes policy in our home. Then, we had children, and the no shoes policy remained . . . we didn't want to think of them rolling around or eating cheerios off of a floor where dog poopie or squished worms could be from dirty shoes. It works well with my extendeds . . . they all have kids and no shoe policies of their own. So, adults and kids, wherever they are, take off their shoes when they are in someone's home. So, now that my kids are a little older, I have started having playdates. This is how the last two went. I opened the door and kids came running into the house and disappeared into other rooms. I tell mom, "We usually don't wear our shoes in the house." Eventually, the moms got the shoes off of the kids, but . . . left their OWN on." Two different moms, same thing. And, then, I come to find out that they both have no shoes in their own homes. So, I see this as my failure not to communicate strongly enough. I haven't wanted to be rude and demanding, though. Is there a way to tell guests about the shoes that is non-offensive? Or, is it rude of me to make people do that? HELP. I am having guests over this weekend, two different families with no shoe policies of their own, but, last time they were here, no one took off their shoes, and I had mud everywhere.

ImaginationMama

Asked by ImaginationMama at 11:22 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You can be like Martha Stewart and have a basket of soft socks or slippers at the door and an empty basket to deposit their shoes in!
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 11:36 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You can tell people you dont allow shoes in your home but as for "enforcing" it well...if they dont take them off its rude to get onto them about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have the same thing going on in my home so I know your pain!(Lol) I just tell them to please take thier shoes off and if they dont i make a joke and say I know my carpets are durty but so they won't get more durt in them please tke your shoes off. they will then usually always take them off. Any joke will work!!!
    ameliaborrego

Answer by ameliaborrego at 11:30 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I've had the same experience and now I actually have a sign which I decorated myself that states, "No Shoes Please" right in the entrance. If they can't read, I just simply ask them to please take their shoes off since I just washed the rugs and mopped the floor. lol
    Philly247

Answer by Philly247 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Sounds like you're a little paranoid about this policy. I like people to take their shoes off in my house as well, but I would rather let them have their shoes on then make a big deal out of it and embarrass anyone. Remember they are guest ... I know it's your home, but you want them to feel welcome right?
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:31 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have flip-flops, slippers and socks by the door. But some people don't want to walk barefooted in another persons house, because they feel that they're picking up germs on their feet. So there are different ways of looking at this issue.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Maybe you could place a temporary sign on your door that says "no shoes please".
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:25 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• As you slowly open your front door say, "Leave your shoes right _____". End of discussion.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Wow- every time someone has said to me that they don't allow shoes in their home, I haven't thought twice about stopping right there and taking off my shoes. How rude! Sorry you're having to deal with that, and I completely agree with your no-shoes policy. It's your house, and what you say goes. Provide a place to put shoes, whether it be a cardboard box or some kind of low shelf, and direct people to put their shoes in/on it. Maybe that will get the hint across more effectively.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:33 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I can't go without shoes, my feet hurt without support, I would violate your no-shoes rule.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:31 PM on Mar. 2, 2011