Those of you that are SAHMs...What do you do all day to keep yourself sane??

I have 3 little ones at home. They are 5 years, 2 1/2 years, and 7 months old. I don't know what to do. DH comes home after 5 and my days go by soooo slow.

HKing01

Asked by HKing01 at 11:44 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Clean, shop, hang out with friends, volunteer at the school, finish up any crafts started on weekends by the kids, laundry, stuff like that.

Answer by gemgem at 11:45 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My hubby leaves at 8am and doesn't get home until 11pm. So first off be happy that he comes home at 5! I usually get up around 9am with my DD then clean the house for about an hour. We watch about 30mins-1 hour of her shows. Then nap, eat lunch, and go out, either to the grocery store, mall, park, my mother's house, anywhere ....
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• When mine were that age - we played games, read books, played outside, played inside, had quiet time, coloring, playdough, singing silly songs while dancing, etc. We had a great time. Now that they are in school or adults, I read books, sing at the top of my lungs while cleaning, play online games, read, play piano, read.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:49 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would suggest seeing if your local library has a story time. DD really loves it - she is 2 but often goes with kids as old as 5 at daycare as well (I work part-time). It is easier when the warm weather hits because we can play outside or go to the park as well. I would think with 3 little kids you had plenty to keep you busy :) But it is easy to get stuck in a rut. Come up with crafts to do (Google crafts for preschool kids) that at least your 5 and 2 1/2 year old should both be able to do. See if there is an indoor pool or play-place near you. I end up spending a fair amount of my days off cleaning (we don't have a dishwasher) as I don't really want to do it on the weekends. Good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 11:51 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Clean, laundry, clean, dishes, cook, clean, laundry, run errands, CM, FB, clean, cook some more, bake, read, and I think you get the idea. I keep busy.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:53 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I also have three kids- they are a little older now so some are in school, but when they were that age I tried to have some planned activities on some days to keep my sanity! We would all go crazy being stuck in the house all the time! So we did storytime at the library, swim lessons, play dates, etc. at least a couple of days a week. In nice weather we would make sure we got to the park for an hour or so every day to run off some energy. We also read a lot of stories, watched movies, did some simple arts and crafts, etc. I also did some of the basics during the day instead of the evening... we would do bathtime during the day, for example. rather than before bed. It took something off the roster for evening and gave us something more to do in the day.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have 4 under 4 and there are only rare moments when I get "down time".
    Meals, laundry, dishes, vacumming, mopping, wiping counters down, paying bills, organizing different place in my home, making beds, picking up toys, dusting.....
    Then there's the "upkeep" stuff that's always there begging you to do it like defrost a freezer, clean windows, revamp your fridge, organize your pantry, organize your bills, yard work, cleaning cars, making apts for doctor visits.

On top of all this stuff to do, I go to school full time and I have church responsibilities/positions. So I have stuff to type up all the time, make calls.....etc etc etc.

:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Oh I forgot to mention....but it's a given....when your not giving your kids attention, playing with them and helping them with things they want you for, you get to do all that stuff I listed in and between.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Clean, laundry, play with little one, visit my mother, talk on the phone, go online.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Do like Eric Church says:'Drink A Little Drink, Smoke A Little Smoke'! :)
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 12:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011