Ordained Ministers?

I have a friend of mine who wants to became a ordained minister online. She doesn't have a computer but she wanted to get some advice on the subject. Does anyone have any advice for her?

Mom0413

Asked by Mom0413 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It takes 30 seconds if she wants to do it through the Universal Life Church.
    Anonymous

• Well if she wants to do it online but doesn't have a computer the obvious suggestion would be to save some money so she can buy a computer or laptop and internet access. Or find somewhere with a PAC (public access computer) that will allow her to spend unlimited amounts of time online in order to get it (which is rare to find because not only are several sites blocked for security purposes of teh network but they also have time limits for usage so others can use the computers as well)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If she is simply wanting to go through the process of becoming an ordained minister, then she can use a computer at the library. It doesn't take long at all. My DD did it because her friend wanted her to officiate her wedding ceremony.

Now, if she's wanting to have an online ministry...then, like a PP stated, she should invest in a computer.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My husband did it, but it was before we met. He's actually performed a couple wedding ceremonies for friends over the years. He said it was simple, and I think it was through Universal Life Church. I think their website is ulc.net. I'm sure she could borrow a computer to do it if it's simple.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Hubby and I did it through Universal Life Church a few years ago. It's easy and legal but not really cheap if you want all the certificates in laminated placards and things.

If she has access to the local library, she can go there and do it. BUT if she wants something more, I agree with Kristi about investing in a computer.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• She is concerned about what her family will say because they are religious
    Mom0413

Comment by Mom0413 (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Why would they be against her becoming an ordained minister if they themselves are religious. Anyways it's her decision and her life not theirs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

--

My husband's parents didn't really make a big deal about it with him, and they are Southern Baptists. They do have one atheist and one Pantheist son though, so maybe they've gotten used to accepting their differences over the years. I'm not sure how accepting they were at first, but they were probably used to my BIL's views by the time my husband started exploring other paths that they just went along with it and supported them. It's her decision. Once it's done, what can they really say about it anyway?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would encourage her to be trained first. :-) What is scary about UC church issuing these online is you do not know who they are going to and God only knows what they plan to use it for. Obviously no accountablitiy there.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

-----------------------------

If it is what SHE wants to do and is sure, then she should do it however SHE chooses. It is not up to her family.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:54 PM on Mar. 2, 2011