kids and medication, yes? or no?

A pediatrician wants to put my 6 year old on a pill called Strattera, does anyone know about it? I've looked online and i dont agree with it, i also have the ministry involved and they parshly agree with the pediatrician, he doesnt show as much outburst as he used to(not on the pill yet) so can i fight to keep my child off this or should i let it be and let them try it on him anyway?

julie120

Asked by julie120 at 5:56 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What is it used for? Is it for ADD?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• As a parent you have that choice. If you dont like it then dont put him on it. If he needs a med then find out what your options are and weigh them out GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:03 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Strattera is one of the safer drugs for ADHD but you might want to do some research on natural alternatives first as in changing his diet to eliminate preservatives and artificial ingredients. That can sometimes make a big difference, but it obviously is a lot harder to do. I would only give him drug as a last resort if nothing else works.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 6:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• First off, why is the pediatrician suggesting it for? ADHD? ADD? Our ten year old has ADHD and ODD (oppositional defiant disorder) and is on Adderall. He was on Strattera and (not to scare you, but to be honest) but it made him like a zombie. Also, I wouldn't put too much into the information you find on the inter-net as sometimes it is more confusing and can be not intimidating, but not real clear and make you worry a little more and be unsure. I would ask the pediatrician for pamphlets. You can also go to any public library or bookstore to get information. In fact, I just checked out a book from my library that has a lot of great information:

Straight Talk about Psychiatric Medications for Kids by Timothy E. Wilens, MD.

Hope this helps some.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• thank you all your answers all great and give some peace of mind....the Pediatrician was saying he has ODD, but then says ADHD, confusing i know, but i dont see him as ADHD all he likes to do is sit and watch t.v,computer, or gameboy, i have to kick (not litteral) him to go play. As for ODD he gets like that if you ask him to do something and theres nothing in it for him
    julie120

Answer by julie120 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My son has adhd and we had strattera. It was alright. I kept him off medication as long as I could and ended up having to give him medication so he could succeed in school by being able to focus long enough to learn. No shame in it.
    Anonymous

• have you had your child tested for giftedness?

http://www.sengifted.org/index.shtml
    BoobooHealer

Answer by BoobooHealer at 8:00 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Don't do it....I would never put my child on any kid of pych drug. Child psych is a reletivley new field and we have no idea what the future consequences will hold for those children on long-term drug treatment. Not only that, but because a child's brain is still growing rapidly, the psych drugs mess with the 'routing' system and screw up the neurotransmitters. Therefore, your child's brain may never be functioning normally EXCEPT while using drugs.
    Yeah, don't take the chance......go a different route to deal with his needs.
    ggad

Answer by ggad at 8:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• A pediatrician should NEVER, EVER diagnose a mental health problem with your child. You need a child psychiatrist to give you a second opinion. Drop this pediatrician and find a child pyschiatrist for a complete evaluation.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:07 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• ***Child psych is a reletivley new field and we have no idea what the future consequences will hold for those children on long-term drug treatment***

Wrong. Child psych is not a new field...it's a relatively old field of study, particularly concerning ADHD. ADHD is the most widely studied childhood problem EVER. Also, we do know what happens to children on long-term drug treatment because we have been medicating kids for ADHD for over 40yrs. Study after study has shown that the most effective, safest, best treatment for ADHD is stimulant medication combined with behavioural therapy. That's a fact.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 12:12 AM on Nov. 21, 2008