my son is 23 months old and he wont listen to me at all even though i say no , i get fustrated n walk away.. what do i do?

ellen1904

Asked by ellen1904 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You get serious about parenting your child, that's what. Find some resources or a friend who has well behaved children and ask them for tips. That's just lazy to walk away.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Way to be supportive RentaMom. All children are different and some are very difficult. Sometimes that best way to deal with a child is to walk away rather then lose it. Just keep it up and it'll get easier.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• "No" obviously isn't enough. Try teaching your child why not to do those things before you have to say "no" to them. And stop getting frustrated. It's only going to get worse.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You need to 'Take It Like A Mom'! You can't give up on your child or they will never respect you. I fully understand its hard to keep your cool sometimes but you have to stand your ground. If you show weakness they see it. Keep your head up honey!
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 12:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• thats the thing is i try and be serious with him , but he just dont take me serious and he smakes me and hits me even when i do say no thats why i walk away ...
    ellen1904

Comment by ellen1904 (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Honestly, at this point, you're bigger. You can still physically stop him from doing what you don't want him to do...thank god, because my daughter is about 25 months and is a really willful child. I get down low, so I'm close to her face-level, and tell her NO with a stern face, then physically take her away from it...after a couple tries...she can usually be redirected to something else.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You need some help establishing good parenting skills. Ask your local health dept I bet they would be able to give you some information on where to find parenting help. Anyone can say I'm being harsh if you want. The child is out of control and if mom doesn't know how to handle it she should seek assitance not just say "oh well" and raise another out of control person. He's at a tough age but mom you have a duty to NOT let him control the situation. He didn't learn how to slap you on his own.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Get down on his level and make eye contact. Use a soft but stern voice, and redirect him. Give him something else to do in place of what you don't want him to do. At his age, he is still learning to control himself. Sometimes he really CAN'T help himself. So when you find him doing something undesirable, you tell him no, remove him from the situation, and give him something he is allowed to play with. Also, sometimes kids hear 'no' so much that they sort of tune it out, so rephrase and say something like, 'Let's play with the kitty like this.' and show him how to softly pet the kitty instead of pulling her tail. Hope this helps!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• ok thanks ill try some of thoes .. im just a new mom an a single mom so its really hard... thanks for the help ..
    ellen1904

Comment by ellen1904 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• And he'll do this when he's three, four, five, and even up into adulthood.
    You need to instill consequences for his actions. Be consistant. When you say "No" and give him a punishment that will follow if he does it again, then give that punishment when he does it again. He will try to get out of being punished, but you need to understand that this is only trying to manipulate you and get his way. Don't allow this, but don't overreact to the situation. The angrier you get the more he'll try to push your buttons to get you to give in. That's what children do, because they're learning with every emotion, every action, every reaction, etc. They're learning What to do, what not to do, and so on ... So when you instill a schedule, a punishment for every negative action, etc .. you need to follow through so they know what to expect. That way they can make the choice knowing what will come next.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011