Have you ever disowned family? (kinda long)

So, I ended up taking my mother in because her and my brothers were living in a trailer with no power.

My mother came down here and instantly started playing alfamale. My husband and I have our own rules for our house and daughter. Sereniti eats certain things and goes to bed at a certain time.

My mother comes in and wants to sneak my daughter doughnuts and junk EVERY MORNING. Then when it came to putting my kid in time outs my mom would throw a fit and stomp around then house or try to run to my daughters rescue. So my daughter would become confused on whats bad and whats good. Every time we would confront her my mother would flip out saying we were abusing her.( My house is one of the safest places in the world) I know what abuse is and would never let my daughter or I get involved. Im not stupid.

Anyways, after lil arguments with my husband about kicking my mom out we finally decided to kick her out. It was because she told me that she was leaving at the 1st because she hates my husband and hates how im living life. She doesnt want to be around because she doesnt feel like she can be a grandma( but all along she was trying to act like my daughter was her daughter)

Why would I want someone in my house that hates my way of life and hates my husband?
We do not do any drugs, we go to church, we going on family outings. She lets her sons smoke pot, poop in holes and plus she moves around more than anyone I know.

Well after telling her to leave she flipped out and started punching my husband in the face. My husband held her down until she stopped. She didnt care that I was there and I am PREGNANT. I ended up getting a bruise under my eye.(by her) and the cops were called. Then she started going off to the cops to call CPS because her granddaughter was in danger and she was scared. I think the cop knew that my mom was full of it. CPS wasn't called but it hurt that she would go that far.

So I decided to disown my family.(besides my brothers, daughter and husband)

Has anyone else ever had this problem?

Augusta

Asked by Augusta at 12:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• No, but you have to do what is best for you, your children and husband. Mom is an adult and can handle herself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• yep...we had to seperate from my husband's mom and grandmother. His brother is so far up him mom's ass I hope she never stops breathing or he's dead so although he would be welcome in our life he has chosen not to be. It's hard to make that decision but it was the best think we ever did for our marriage. It was much the same as your mom/your daughter and I was in your husband's position.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My husband has disowned all but his younger half brother. Toxic people have no place in your life.

This woman may have birthed you... but she's not a mother. She needs help.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• @tyfry Thanks
    @rentaMom Yeah its just heartbreaking. You think they would learn that we are adults now and our life isnt going to be like theres
    Augusta

Comment by Augusta (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I've never had to disown any of my family..but none of them has ever acted the way you describe your mother! wow..I'm sorry you had to go through that.I bet it wasn't an easy decision to come to but you have to do what you feel is in the best interest of yourself,your daughter and your husband.Your little girl doesnt need to see that kind of drama and violence. I wish all the best to you. Hopefully your mom will realize what she has done and seek some help and maybe she can slowly prove herself to you and become a positive part of your life again one day.
    :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Im so sorry your having to go through that. :( And it doent sound like your doing anything wrong or bad by trying to teach your little girl right from wrong and putting her in time out.. And I agree with Kimberlyinberea You have to do what is best for you your husband and your little girl.. And if that means getting rid of some people then it will be best in the end
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 12:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Do in-laws count? I told my ex MIL to drop dead over the phone (after many years of putting up with her crap) and that naturally ended my relationship with her and my ex's entire family.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I disowned my bio mother, which unfortunately caused an unintentional and unwanted disowning of my bio father right along with her. Too much abuse and mental illness and controlling from her, and my bio father is her doormat. Sigh.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011