What does it mean to "take yourself too seriously"?

Help me understand! I've been told that once or twice, and I know it's kind of a bad thing? At least that's the way it made me feel...what does it mean??? :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• Don't be so hard on yourself.  Laugh at yourself.  Enjoy and have fun.  ;)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It's advice, usually unsolicited, from person A to person B, when A believes that B has become so self-involved and wrapped up in petty personal problems that B has lost perspective. B can either regard this as helpful counsel, or, more often, as meddling. Nevertheless, it is usually wise to keep a wider perspective: whatever your personal concerns, there are at least a billion people in China who don't care.
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/17/messages/679.html

Answer by gemgem at 12:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Here are a number of things it can mean ...

You can't laugh at yourself .. Whether when you make silly mistakes, do something embarrassing, or otherwise ...

You expect too much of yourself and drive yourself too hard.

You strive to be precise, PC, always understood, and/or otherwise "perfect" and allow no room for error.

You don't allow yourself to see the lighter side of you ..
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I rarely let people into my problems, and the one time I shared some of my "baggage" they told me not to take myself seriously.
    I was kinda hurt and embarrassed cause they shrugged something off that really mattered to me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It means relax...don't be as serious..."lighten up".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think of it as stressing over the big stuff, and the small stuff, and the in-between stuff, and the stuff that isn't really anything.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2011