How do you "break up" with a group of friends you have known forever? (kind of long)

I have been close friends with 3 guys since I was in 6th grade- going on 17 years now. We were always called the "core 4" to everyone else who knew us. Other friends have come into our circle and left again but it's always been us.

Over the years there has been some drama- but what group of friends haven't had that? At the end of high school I dated one of the guys for two years and then we split but remained close.

It recently came to light, though, that my ex slept with one of our other friend's now wife! But he also slept with MY sister....when he was staying at my house. All 3 of them lied to me about the whole situation and twisted it in a way that I just shrugged it off and thought it was just some misunderstanding.

I have stayed in contact with 2 of them, but I refuse to hang out with my friend's wife or speak to my ex.

Now I'm pregnant and really don't want any of them in my life or in my baby's life. So how do you tell people that have been in your life for so long and have been through so much with you that you don't want them to be a part of your child's life? And that you feel better when they aren't around?

meandrphoto

Asked by meandrphoto at 12:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• I think you just gradually fade away. Don't be available when they call and jsut drift apart if you can. No reason to leave it on bad terms just saying you have a baby and are busy and can't really deal with drama is enough at this point. You may change your mind later anyway so I would jus tlet it go and drift away if possible.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I feel the easiest way to cut people out of your life is to do it gradually. Don't announce that you want them out... don't make a definite break. Just... start talking to them less, avoid conversations or meeting up with any of them. Make it seem as though you're just drifting apart. They might just think it's because you're having a baby, and there won't be as much drama surrounding you. If there is a lot of drama that results from it, just make a clean break.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Sounds like there's a lot of drama...when I got pregnant I decided to get out of my small (and only) group of close girl friends. I simply told them I was moving into a new stage of my life and only had time to focus on myself and future child. Since I was cutting off the friendships, I didn't put too much thought into how to word it or how they were going to feel. I didn't want any drama and simply told them that, so my advice for you is to just be honest with them- then move on. Years later I talk to these girls now and again, but we all know it won't be like before, and that's fine. Good luck!
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Right night is all about you. You are having a baby this would make everything easy for you to cut off your friends. You going to be very busy going to the Dr. ect .. They would only call you to see how u doing you answer would be am sick cant i call you later. you dont call that all k next when the baby is born they would call to see how you and the baby is doing. You w ould said tire, sleepy no time for nobody is that easy.
    dulcedee66

Answer by dulcedee66 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would be very up front. "I don't want old drama bogging me down while I am trying to focus on raising my daughter."
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• honestly i have bad friends i would hang out with while i was preget but as i felt like they were bad influnces i'd stop showing up and only talking to on the fone .. i still talk to them but never the firdt to call when i wanna go out
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 2:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Eithertell them straight out or fade into oblivion. Depends on how much potential drama you want.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011