Is it rude?

Is it rude to say a child doesn't have a fighting chance if they are not in any type of car seat and in the front seat?

ETA: I am talking about not being seriously hurt in a car crash. The toddler was probably no more than 2 if even that!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• No they shouldnt be in the front seat and it is dangerous. I would think whoever is giving the advice is just trying to run that point home.

Answer by gemgem at 12:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• A fighting chance at what? Life? Not flying through the windshield in a crash?
    I don't really understand the remark without seeing the context of it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It's not wrong but probably a little drastic. To me it would depend on the age of the child. If it is a 2 year old it is very irresponsible. If it is 5yr old its not as bad but still not safe.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Do you mean if they have actually been in an accident and the child is in the hospital? Or are you talking about just discussing possibilities?

If there has been an accident and this was the case, it wouldn't just be rude, it would be cruel....If you are just discussing the what-if's of life, no, I don't think it would be rude.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• no!! It is not!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't know if its rude...I guess it would depends on what the whole conversation circled around and how/why it was said.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• After your edit, here's my answer:
    If it's said in the context of trying to drive home the importance of not allowing the toddler to ride in a dangerous situation, then NO, it's not rude. It's poetic license for the sake of trying to impress an important point to someone.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Truth hurts. 13 and under in the back when able to be. Certainly in a safety seat or approved booster in back until legal age or weight for not being in one.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• tsk tskPutting a 2 year old in the front with no car seat is very irresponsible...quite frankly they dont stand a chance!

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Putting a 2 yr old anywhere in a car without a carseat is stupid, but especially in the front seat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2011