Quit Smoking?

My DH has been back from Iraq for almost 3 1/2 years and while he was overseas he started smoking cigarettes. He promised me that he would quit smoking when he got home from Iraq. Now 3 1/2 years later my DH is still smoking cigarettes. Does anyone have any advice about how I can help him quit smoking for once and for all?

Asked by Mom0413 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Health

• Unless he's ready and willing, you can't.

Answer by hootie826 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• He has to really want to on his own. Otherwise, he'll just go back to smoking... or smoke in secret.

Answer by dotsicle at 12:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You can't- he needs to do it on his own. Pressuring him will only annoy him and possibly have him smoking behind your back.

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I agree with the PP's, unless HE wants to quit, there's really nothing you can do.

Answer by Anouck at 1:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You can't - he has to. And the more you pressure him the less likely he will do it.

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Its a personal choice someone has to make for themselves. My aunt smoked for more then 30 years! Then one day she went to the dr and got put on chantix and quit within a week. I asked her why she all of a sudden quit after so many years? She said she was spending $180 a mth on them and wanted cable. I mean really? LOL see they have to WANT to do it.

Answer by gemgem at 1:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• There are hypnotist that can hypntise people to make them stop. Go to to find someone in your area that does this. It costs about the same as 2 cartons of cigarettes. It works I know people that has tried it. When patches, gum, and pills don't work this does. My close friend smoked for 15yrs. she went to a hynotist and she has been smoke free for 5 yrs now.

He has to want to quit!!

Answer by diamondsky at 1:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• For the last 3 years he has been smoking secretly trying to keep it from me, but I knew he was smoking behind my back. He says he wants to quit but it seems like he is just saying that to make me happy. I want to Help him quit but I dont know how.

Comment by Mom0413 (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• he cant be forced he has to do it because he wants to

Answer by augboy11 at 1:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011