What are your thoughts on this situation... adult content

It was a school night...dh & 6 yr old dd were playing Wii...8PM came around I said to dh it's dd's bedtime so stop playing...dd threw a temper tantrum & said no I want to keep playing...I said no it's bedtime, it's a school night & you know that 8PM is bedtime & so does daddy...she ran over to dh & begged to stay up & play..dh let her stay up until 8:30P...I said that was not right nor was it good parenting on his part...I said you should have stuck w/me...you know that 8P is bedtime on a school night!

So I was just wondering what would you mommy's have done or any thoughts???

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's not the extra time that's the issue per se. It's the fact that DH sold you out, so to speak. Whether or not you always agree, parents need to have a united front with the kids. It doesn't take a lot for them to learn how to play you off each other to get their way. The proper thing would have been for him to say "Mommy already said no for tonight. We'll talk and maybe we can do a special later bedtime for a game night another night."

If you haven't already, I'd pull DH aside and tell him he can't contradict you like that. If he disagreed he should have asked to talk in private and try to come to a mutual agreement.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:41 AM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Honestly? lol I would have turned off the TV and unplugged the system and put her in bed. Now what would be a better response? Not to say anything then tell DH it isnt right for him to undermine you in front of her and let her know she can play one against the other.

Answer by gemgem at 1:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• me and dh would have probably gotten into a bit of an arguement after dd went to bed...you need to talk to your hubby, parents need to put up a unified front! he is teaching his daughter that it is ok to play you two off of eachother in order to get what she wants...never a good thing! good luck hun
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my honest response would have been.."oh, okay..but your dad is going to..make sure you take your meds, make sure your teeth are brushed, and he can pack your back pack and see what you want for lunch for tomorrow and tuck you into bed"..and i'm sure my dh's response to all of that would be.."GO TO BED"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• United front. He showed her that all she has to do is get what she wants from daddy. If he really wanted her to stay up, you both could have talked about it after she was in bed (at 8 p.m.) and decided on a specific night, like Friday or Saturday, where he could treat her to extra game time.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It's important for both parents to have a united front, AND for young children to have a regular schedule, so yes, I would have been pissed too... He should have backed you up.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• id be upset too my dh undermines me all the time. talk with him the next time and tell him the rules were set and it would have been different if he would involved you in the decision to change them. i mean he could have said well if mommy allows maybe yoiu could stay up for fifteen more minutes.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Ugh,that was probably so irritating. I would definitley have a talk with dad-e-o when dd is oout of ear shot. He needs to back ya up on stuff like that otherwise she's gong to keep on learning to play you two against eachother and its better for parents to be like a one unit when it comes to upholding the rules and stuff.
    I know with my school aged son, I have to start telling him a half an hour before bedtime that he has a half an hour left...then 20 minutes left...then 10 minutes left..etc...so he can mentally prepare and wind down...so maybe you can compromise with that?
    Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Does this happen often?
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 4:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If my dh wanted her to stay up a little later I don't see the harm. It was only a half an hour. However, he shouldn't have underminded you in front of your dd.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011