Whats the worst experience you have had with your

child at school? anything bad thats happened.

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• This one teacher didnt want to teach my son. He was in kinder & my oldest caught the teacher yelling at him, making him cry and calling him dumb. She went into the class and told her she was mean and to stop. DD came home & told me & teacher tells me something is wrong with my son because he cannot speak (he had speech delay & autism). She said maybe his mouth is deformed. After much complaining we had a meeting with the principle & the teacher said she didnt think my son was autistic that he was "just as stupid as all the other mexicans in her class". I was 7 mths pregnant and stood up, made a fist and went to swing and my husband stopped me. Needless to say he was switched out of her class.

Answer by gemgem at 1:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my girls got sexually harrassed on the school bus and i had to go to sheriff department to answer allegations. over other kids who got by with it the victims family and victims were treated as the criminals. 2 years ago. :(
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My son got kicked in the back in gym by another student. I wasn't informed by anyone. Till my son developed blood in his urine, fever and a back ache. He then told me what happened and I called the school. They had to pay all of the medical bills for this. And I made it very clear to them parents need to be informed of school injuries promptly!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Wow, gemgem. I would have laid the stupid bitch out. Should have lost her job over such blatant racism - and with innocent children no less.

My worst would be last year when I wanted to hold my son back in kindergarten and the school psychologist telling me there were 3 traumatic things in a child's life. Losing a parent, being held back, and I forget the 3rd because it didn't apply. I thought it was below the belt to use something like that to guilt me into letting him go onto first grade. Needless to say, I had him held back anyway and he's doing much better this year.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I've not had any of these issues in the 17 years I've had children in public schools. I've had to bring a change of clothes to the school because one of my son's found the ONLY puddle on the play ground and fell it in. One son got in a bit of trouble when he defended his friend from a bully, but all he had to do was apologize to his teacher for not getting her first, his teacher understood why he did it and he didn't get suspended.
    Be active in the school, be visible.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Four days into junior kindergarden, my son's teacher called me in to tell me that in her opinion as a teacher and a parent, my son was 'abnormal' and that he had an anger management problem. She said this in front of him, and in the car going home he regurgitated it all right back to me (I asked what happened, and he said "I just have an anger problem.") He doesn't have an anger problem- he does have a sensory processing disorder, which was detailed in the file that she never bothered to read! I went home and basically bawled for hours... then the next day I went back with guns blazing and told her I would be pleased to go for a psychology assessment and provide her and the principal with recommendations on how best to work with him, suggested that she read the documentation that she already had in her possession, and told her NEVER to talk about my son like he wasn't in the room again. That fixed things! LOL!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Con't.- Just to add, my son is now almost nine, in grade three french immersion, getting stellar grades and is NEVER in trouble for behaviour, so his teacher's four day in assessment was SO far off the mark. What I learned from that was I need to be my kids' advocate, and I can't assume that the teachers will read the files or know a thing about the individual circumstances of my kids unless I am telling it to them in writing. I'm not assertive by nature but this has been positive for me in the sense that I am no longer afraid to advocate for my kids when it comes to the school system.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• wow ladies some interesting stories here my girl starts in September and I really hope everyone plays nice! I have heard some horrible stories including yours and I really don't have the patience for ignorance and mean ppl. Mama bear here....good for all of you.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011