Do think being overweight can prevent you from getting pregnant?

My SIL is obese, probably like 300 or so. I don't know the exact but I'm wondering if that can be one problem in her not being able to get pregnant.
any experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I don't think her weight is going to stop her from getting pregnant!! There may be a chance of complications, but I think she would be fine!! I don't see why weight would be an issue on not being able to get pregnant
    Anonymous

• Well, I've heard obesity can stop it or at least not be able to caryy. She's had two miscarriages in the past too
    Anonymous

• I'm not anywhere near that overweight, but when I was having a hard time trying to conceive my doctor told me to try to get as close to my ideal weight as possible. It had something to do with the way fat interacted with or trapped hormones. I was able to conceive both of my children after I dropped about 8-10lbs and that was just going from maybe 160 to 150. That said, a lady I used to work with weighed 300 and had 5 kids just fine without any trouble conceiving at all, so I think it just depends on each individual and how their body and levels are.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I think it depends on what *norm* is for you. If you have been big most/all of your life without much weight flutuaction, then it probably wouldn't be an issue. but if you are naturally a small person, and gain 15 lbs, because that is not your norm, it can actually throw off your hormones, making it harder to get pregnant.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• There are increased risks associated with obesity and pregnancy. As for being overweight some women do not ovulate if they are too overweight, much the same as too think women wont ovulate. Here is some information on obesity and pregnancy:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20060203/obesity-increases-risks-in-pregnancy

Answer by gemgem at 6:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• No. Might slow the process down but wont stop it. Took us a while to get preggers but we did it on our own when we least expected it. All overweight people need is a great high hip position LOL.

4 pillows under the hips knocked me up good and fast LOL.

Dont buy into the crap people say about overweight people and getting preggers.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:55 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Like they said above...it won't stop it, but it might slow it down.

I'm pretty overweight and it wasn't difficult for me to get pregnant AT ALL. I'm not anywhere near 300 pounds, but I'm definitely a plus sized chick. Even though some overweight people experience difficulties with pregnancy, I know I haven't. I've had a textbook perfectly healthy pregnancy...I hate to brag, but I'm being honest. I've been extremely lucky and blessed.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:22 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• NO I WAS WHEN I  GOT PREGO  AND NO PROBLEM I HAVE FRIENDS WHO ARE BIG  NO PROBLEM !

Anonymous

• My Endocrinologist said yes, being overweight can cause fertility problems. If you are insulin resistant it can lead to poly cystic ovarian disorder. I was diagnosed as insulin resistant and because of it, very rarely if ever had a period, and wasn't ovulating regularly. I had a daughter when I was 20, and we had tried for years to have another baby. when she was 6 years old, I lost 87lbs. and got pregnant. I gained some of the weight back while I was pregnant, and then through the years, more. We tried for many more years to get pregnant, but, nothing. We never used birth control. When I was 41, I went on yet another diet, lost 87 pounds and never considered it would happen again. At 41 I had my 3rd baby and several  months later, I found out I was pregnant with #4. My endocrinologist doesn't think I would've gotten pregnant had I not lost weight. (After the 3rd "diet baby", my husband forbid me to go on anymore diets! LOL)
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• My Endocrinologist said yes, being overweight can cause fertility problems. If you are insulin resistant it can lead to poly cystic ovarian disorder. I was diagnosed as insulin resistant and because of it, very rarely if ever had a period, and wasn't ovulating regularly. I had a daughter when I was 20, and we had tried for years to have another baby. when she was 6 years old, I lost 87lbs. and got pregnant. I gained some of the weight back while I was pregnant, and then through the years, more. We tried for many more years to get pregnant, but, nothing. We never used birth control. When I was 41, I went on yet another diet, lost 87 pounds & got pregnant with 3rd baby and several  months later, I found out I was pregnant with #4. My endocrinologist doesn't think I would've gotten pregnant had I not lost weight. (After the 3rd "diet baby", my husband forbid me to go on anymore diets! LOL)
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 20, 2008