Cooking Salmon.

I'm breastfeeding and I know salmon is very good for both the mother and the mothers milk. The thing is I don't know how to cook it! Or what to look for when buying it. I just started this whole cooking on my own thing.

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 6:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I put it in a pan and drizzle it with butter, lemon juice and minced garlic. Then just broil it on low and keep checking on it. It should only take about 10 or 15 min! YUMM I love salmon! lol
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• just go to the fish section and buy a fillet that looks nice and big. put it on a big piece of tinfoil and pour Italian dressing on it. not too much, and use a brush to completely cover it. turn over the fillet and pour melted butter on the other side. wrap it up with the foil and put it in the oven on 400 for like twenty to thirty minutes or until it flakes with a fork.

KristaRene

Answer by KristaRene at 6:21 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• i work for chilis and what we do there for our salmon is put seasoned salt on it. and garlic butter. we sear it on one side for 3 minutes to brown it that is the "presentation side" then we flip it and put a cover over it and let it steam. depending on the size it should not cook al togethr for more that 13 minutes. when it is done the middle will be light pink. salmon is natuaraly a dark pink. when it is cooked it turns light pink. or you could temp it out at i think 175 internal temp. when it is done add one last drizzle of garlic butter. and some parsley and there you go.
    Anonymous

• I sprinkle dill weed and sea salt on it and steam it. I buy it at Sam's Club. They usually have the best price around here. I buy it filleted (sp) and cut it into portions. Sprinkle it with the dill weed and sea salt and wrap it in foil and freeze it. I steam it frozen. Combined with steamed broccoli it's my all time favorite meal.....YUMMY! Great....now I'm hungry for salmon and not the chicken pot pie I'm currently baking in the oven.......thanks a lot....LOL ; )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Ohhhh..I love Chili's salmon....thanks for the insider info : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I like mine broiled like the PP. I slice lemon and lay on top and drizzle with garlic infused olive oil. I broil on low and KEEP AN EYE ON IT! so it doens't overcook. Serve with a rice and snow peas or steamed broccoli. ALSO, HOORAY FOR YOU! I am so glad to see mamas eating healthy and nursing their babies! YEAH!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 6:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Oh, on picking out fish at the store, ask to smell it. I'm not kidding, if it's fresh it will smell like the ocean, NOT FISHY! Don't buy fishy smelling fish. It will smell fresh.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 6:38 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• To buy it: look for filets or steaks that are evenly sized. They should be close to the same thickness all the way across. Also, it should smell briny, like the ocean, but it should *NOT* smell fishy. Salmon has a stronger aroma that milder fish, like halibut, but it should be a fresh smell, not gross.
    Look for dark salmon colored filets or steaks, and avoid farmed salmon whenever possible. If you have a Costco near you, they sell frozen salmon and tilapia.

To prepare it, if you have steaks, you can grill or broil them easily...just brush with mayo (keeps them moist) and season with lemon, fresh ground pepper, and a little sea salt. Add dill if you like.
    For filets, you can pan roast, searing them over med-high heat in a bit of olive oil (flavored olive and avocado oils are great for this), then finishing in the oven. If one end is thin, tuck it under to even thickness.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 7:15 PM on Nov. 20, 2008