Why did my 3 year old son decide to misbehave right when i though he was changing he has done naugty things again?

My son with my new technique on punishing him and talking to him was working but i thought wrong.
Yesterday he got a timeout for doing dangerous things with his buddy, i caught him and his friend going on the arm of our couch and jumping onto the cushion. my son is 3 so he got a 3min and his buddy is 2 and half so he got a 2min timeout. After timeout was done for both i explained to both why there were in timeout and that jumping like that is very dangerous and we can get hurt or worse, and i don't think u guys want that do u. They both said NO.
And today my son has ran away from me in the parking Lot at walmart, Has spit at me, bit me on my leg, and threw his toy snake in my face and it hit me as well. I took the toy away from him, slapped him in the mouth after bitting me, and put him back in the van after he ran away from me. After he ran away and i put him in the van he sat in the van for 3mins by himself, and asked him are u ready to try walking in the store now nicely, and he did, but when we got in the store he took off again so he was then in the cart at subway where he had a temper. Then when i took him out of the cart to go by daddy, he ran and i told him to come back so i can take his jacket off, he came back and bit my leg, i then told him that hurt, and i slapped his mouth. When he hit me with his toy snake i took it away and he still doesn't have it back.
Why is he all of a sudden going back to the naughty phase. I talk to him on what i expect and remind him through out the day, What am i doing wrong?

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 1:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is a phase and monkey see monkey do. Trouble loves company.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Wow.
    Was he over tired possibly? Does he still take naps and he had not yet had one?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• First, YOu need to change your mind set. He is three, it does nothing to "punish" him. YOu need to "discipline" him. Both are different. Its teaching him, not expecting him to change. He is 3, he will keep changing every day, You have to guide and direct him, and out will him at the same time. I have learned that kids will respond yes and no according to your tone, chances are they didn't understand the full concept. And even if they did, the parking lot is not the couch, so you have to reteach him all over again. You will have to do that over , and over, and over. If your looking for a behavior change. Expect it to take a month. Think of it like dirty laundry (his bad behavior), if you fall behind and it piles up, then you have to spend alot of extra time to get caught up, and then you have to keep up on a daily basis, or risk falling behind again. Behavior is the same.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• To kimberlyinberea- he gets naps still, and he goes down at 2:30pm otherwise it is a struggle with that if any ealier. I don't know why all of sudden he is pulling this.
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Ever hear of terrible 2's? sounds like hes going through "horrible 3's" lol
    Maybe too much is going on around him at once to cause over stimulation and making him go on overload gear causing him to act out this way.
    Does he behave like this in a calm,comfortable environment..like at home?
    Theres a few things I always try to make sure of before I take my kids out in public..they are well rested ( so after naps or in the a.m not long after waking), they have eaten and they are not hungry...(because they can throw a fit if they are hungry) and they are feeling well.
    Try bringing things to divert his attention when you are out. A baggie with some snacks,a cup of something to drink,a few small toys he can sit in the shoping cart to play with.
    good luck..hope it helps a little!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Oh..i wanted to tell you too..things like jumping off couches..although NOT okay..it is normal..mt oldest son is almost 11 and i still have to remind him to settle down,lol..boys need AN OUTLET TO LET OFF ALL THAT ENERGY(sorry bout thst caps,typing one handed baby in lap lol) Maybe get him something indoors that he can climb on and jump off of..a small climber maybe?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:35 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• its a phase.. do you spend enough time with him? or is he used to you just yelling at him instead all the time?
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 2:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• To kimberlyinberea- he had 2 toys with him, a toy gerriafe, and the snake,. the geriafe he threw in the shopping cart before i loaded it with things we needed, and the snake after he got mad cuz i put him in the cart he hit me with so i took it away. We do go in the mornings and he eats a breakfast. Daddy works at walmart and we even eat with him and daddy's friend. AND yes he is behaves like this at home. I give him more attention than my other son who is only 5 months. Could he be getting a lack of sleep, i mean i do put him down at a decent time like 7:30 he is in bed, and he used to talk in his room until 10:30pm and wake up at 7am, but i talk to him and tell him it is bed time and that he needs to go to sleep so he can get big and strong, and he is quite now, but i don't know if he is sleeping? He gets naps at 2:30pm but falls asleep closer to 3pm and wakes up by 4pm
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• To Mrs.Ro i spend more time with him then with my 5 month old. I stay with him at nap time, i tickel him, play zoo animals, do flash cards, read to him at nap-time, i tuck him in at bedtime, i watch movies with him on Fridays (its our date, when my 5month old goes down for his nap) Even at the end of the week like Friday morning we go together and i let him pick out a cheap toy for his good behavior if no timeouts have occurred.
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It could be so many things as to why..not enough sleep..but all you can do is lay him down at a good time you can't MAKE him fall asleep.It could be over stimulation.It could be an way to get your attention since you have a 5 month old baby...and he's jealous.
    I tell you..my oldest son..when he was 3 years old had his crazy moments.He has slapped me across the face,knocking off my glasses and he broke them! And all I was doing was talking to him about his behavior to his daycare teacher.My son was a wild one,lol. He had a lot of energy to burn....but he was a really good sleeper.
    I don't know hon..its hard to pin point where the root of the problem is. The main thing is he shouldn tbe hitting/biting..hopefully with time,consistency of discipline it will be something that he will outgrow.
    For you...take deep breaths so that you can stay calm when you talk to him.I would try not to smack him in the mouth (CONT)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2011