Am i feeding my toddler good?

I just got him to where he will sit in his highchair and eat.

For breakfast I usually give him fruit (a whole banana sliced up) and a bottle of milk. Sometimes oatmeal with fruit.

Lunch I give him spaghetti o's, ravioli, mac and cheese etc

Supper he eats what we eat.

He snacks throughout the day with peanut butter crackers, fruit, cheese puff balls, graduate puffs etc. And bottles of milk. And cups of juice.

He is healthy. He weighs 23 lbs and is 14 months old. I just want to know if im feeding him right...

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would replace the ravioli, spagetti os and mac and cheese with cut up veggies, fruit, cheese, sandwhich slices of meat.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like you're doing great. He gets his serving of veggies, fruits, protein, and all the other necessities so he should be doing great. My son is turning 2 in May and a month ago when he was at doctor's office he weight 27lbs and they told me I was feeding him healthy and he was in great shape.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 1:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Sounds fine to me. It doesnt have to be perfect every time. When I was a preschool teacher...each meal consisted of this:

1 protien
    1 fruit/vegetable
    1 grain
    1 dairy

so think of it that way and over time it gets easier
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It sounds fine, but I wouldn't do spagettios every day. Mix it up with turkey / cheese slices.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I'll make my boys turkey or ham sandwiches (they are odd some people say because they only want bread and meat and bbq sauce to dip it in, lol), chicken noodle soup ( i just drain the liquid in a cup), steak, chicken, pork chops, chicken nuggest (whole grain). I tend to get as much whole grain stuff as possible and since they don't like all their veggies I buy juice made from veggies like V8 and I also buy the organic veggie straws (they think they are regular chips, lol). Just ideas for meals for your little one if you want to change anything up a bit. I buy mickey mouse shaped cheese as a snack for them and fruit cups (just drain the syrup out) or cut up fresh fruit, peanut butter crackers, etc.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Sometimes I feed him sandwiches with turkey for lunch or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but then i was told I wasn't supposed to gibe him peanut butter. I would like to give him more veggies but he gets choked on them if they're not cooked well. He maily gets veggies for supper such as green beans, corn, peas, etc. But thanks (:
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would add more veggies and fruit but other than that it sounds good to me.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 1:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Be careful with the canned foods such as raviolio's and boxed mac and cheese because they are very high in sodium. Also a toddler is a bit young for peanut butter. The later you introduce peanut butter and nuts the likely that they won't become allergic. For your son, make a big batch of brown rice and mix it with baby food vegies like carrots, spinach, green beans, etc. That would last you about a week of lunches and even dinners. Supplement with grown up food. Deli meat such as ham, turkey, roast beef, bologna are loaded with salt which toddlers don't need. Poach a chicken breast or bake it. It would be great for him too.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 1:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You mentioned bottles of milk - this would be a good time to switch to a sippy cup, and no more than 16 ounces of milk/day. No juice needed - too much sugar. Water is a great drink for kids.

Answer by missanc at 9:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It is a good time to switch to a sippy cup. I try every single day and he screams for his bottle! The juice I give him is 100% juice no sugar added.
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Mar. 2, 2011