I want to homeshool my kids but I'm not really sure how to get started?

I have 2 kids one will be in kindergarten and the other will be in fourth grade. They are both bright kids. I transferred my son out of a horrible school in June 08 and now the school he is in will be closing and all the kids will be transferred to the school I just took him out of.

amont1297

Asked by amont1297 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can check out the Happy Homeschoolers group here on CafeMom. There's a ton of women in there that can help you find answers. Each state handles homeschooling differently so it's important that you google your state's homeschooling laws. Some people spend hundreds of dollars each year on curriculum, and some spend under $100 a year...it just depends on how you want to teach. I created my own curric this year and spent $75 on my kindergartener's books. Some people use a lot of internet resources for worksheets and games.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• We use the Jubilee program. Its great. They have people available for you at anytime if you get stuck on something they can help. http://www.thejubileeacademy.org/

Answer by gemgem at 6:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• I used Calvert and really loved it. www.calvertschool.org. There will be many different programs out there -- find the one that fits your family! =)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 7:09 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• In the begining it is kinda trial and error. Try to find a homeschool group if you don't know anyone who homeschools. If you can find someone that has been doing it awhile it helps alot. I use the Bob Jones Curriculm, I really like it because it tells you what to do and how to teach the subject step by step.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• First, check out HSLDA and find out what the homeschooling laws are in your state. Then I'd read up on curriculum and teaching/learning styles to find what you think will work best. GOod luck!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• the above are resources for the religious/conservative.
    If that's not you, or you're looking for any and all info, feel free to contact me, I have a group for Secular Homeschooling with over 100 links to online resources and a thread listing various approaches to homeschooling. Theists are welcome, too.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 8:18 PM on Nov. 20, 2008