This is happening in the UK.....how do you feel about this

http://www.christianconcern.com/our-concerns/religious-freedom/breaking-news-high-court-judgment-suggests-christian-beliefs-harmful-

Couple's application to foster a child denied because of their Christian beliefs.

motherofhope98

Asked by motherofhope98 at 1:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• motherofhope98

Comment by motherofhope98 (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I doubt it has as much to do with the fact that they are Christian, than the fact that they are against homosexuality. Maybe this day & age, they are trying NOT to teach children that homosexuality is wrong.

I'm curious if there is any other articles written on this, as the one you posted seems kind of biased. I mean the way they word this, makes it seem as if the UK wants parents to "promote" (i think it's so funny they used that word) homosexuality in kids, when they are probably just trying to not raise children into believing it's wrong.

"the Council blocked their application because they objected that the Johns were not willing to promote the practise of homosexuality to a young child"

They didn't even spell practice right, and they seem to be quite manipulating with the words they choose to use. I'm going to try to find a more accurate article that doesn't come from a Christian website.
    Anonymous

• That specific article seems a little skewed so I will wait until another article from a separate site is found. I will say that I can see the concern of the court in not allowing a couple that condemns homosexuality to foster children, especially those which may be homosexual themselves and in the state's care. It harbors a ground for much confusion as well as poses possible detrimental effects for a homosexual child if they were to be temporarily placed with a couple that condemns who they are. Because the state often chooses the foster parents and not the foster parents choosing the child, there can be issues with placement of children and possible discriminations.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• TikiWiki33

Answer by TikiWiki33 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Claiming that a person is not capable of caring for a child because of their religious beliefs is discrimination, pure and simple.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I've read a few articles on this, and what I see is that although the couple was denied, it was because of their proclamation regarding their beliefs on homosexuality. So it wasn't because they are Christian, but because of the beliefs they hold regarding homosexuality. The reasoning behind their beliefs is irrelevant, especially since the children are wards of the government and that government can decide if a anti-homosexuality home is appropriate. I personally think it's a bit much considering that the couple was specifically asked what their beliefs were and only answered honestly. They didn't go into it spouting anti-gay speech. It's sad to me that a child would be denied the benefit of a good home simply because of a personal belief that the foster parents in no way plan to ever bring up to those children. That being said, they were not denied because they are Christian, but because they do not agree with homosexuality.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• There are many things people have to agree to when they foster children.   The children being cared for aren't the foster parents children, in essence these children are the states children the the state (government) gets to make the rules. There might be many things that conflict with how you'd actually raise your own children. T

he government wants to make sure the foster parents aren't conveying negative information about homosexuality. This isn't about being a christian. If this same couple were Jewish or practicing Islam they would be subject to the same rules. Hopefully the couple isn't being singled out for being christian and all applicants are asked the same questions and held to identical standards.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• First, here is an unbiased version of the story. 

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23893094-gay-row-foster-couple-take-adoption-battle-to-high-court.do

Secondly, the Christian orthodox views of marriage and sexuality are borderline abusive at best!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I will say that I can see the concern of the court in not allowing a couple that condemns homosexuality to foster children, especially those which may be homosexual themselves and in the state's care.

I agree- I don't think its a belief in Jesus that is the issue-its what they believe Jesus taught that is the issue-two totally different things- if you believe homosexuality is wrong-you need to own that and all that comes with it- I am Christian, I do not believe homosexuality is wrong- I don't think I would be denied based on the fact I believe in Jesus-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• borderline abusive? You got to be joking!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011