Trying to Conceive?

I recently purchased a ovulation kit and finished my monthly cycle two weeks ago. Is it okay to start the process now, or should I wait until my next monthly cycle ends?

jhanley2

Asked by jhanley2 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I think it would be too late to catch it this cycle. If you know the length of your cycles from the first day of one to the first day of the next, you usually go back 14 daus to pinpoint where you ovulate (or try!) On a 28 day cycle, ovulation is typically on day 14. I have a 31 day cycle, so I usually ovulate on day 17, and see the LH surge (what the tests test for) on day 16.

If you bought a kit with 5 sticks, I would maybe start testing on day 12 of your cycle to see what you come up with. I only had to do this for two cycles when I was going through some fertility issues (tried artificial insemination unsuccessfully before we were able to conceive on our own!), so others with more experience might have better ideas.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Depends on how long your cyles are. If you have 28 day cycles it may be too late. If you have 30 + day cycles then it's probably not too late.

THE STATEMENT THAT OVULATION IS USUALLY DAY 14 IS A MYTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MOST women do not ovulate on that day even IF they have a shorter cycle.

Get the book Taking Charge oF Your Fertility!
    Anonymous

• There are 20 testing strips in the kit. My period normally lasts about 5 days.
    jhanley2

Comment by jhanley2 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• concentrate on having more relationships 10 days after you finsh your period. Maybe you will be pregnant before you think...
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Glitteribon...

What about women who don't ovulate unti, the 25 or 30th day of their cycle (like myself)?!?!?!????

If I had sex 10 days after I stopped my period that would put me at cycle day 16. I NEVER had fertile mucus before CD 20 because I rarely ovulate before CD 25.

So I would COMPLETELY miss my ovulation if I followed your advise.

ALL women ovulate t different times! Charting is simply the MOST ACCURATE way to determine when you are fertile.
    Anonymous