Falling through the cracks...any ideas?

Do you think children of dead beat parents, after a certain amount of time has passed with no child support, should be able to get social security, or that there should be some form of help/system in place for these children OR do you think it is just how it is, and the single parent should suck it up and deal with it?
I realize that there is welfare, but really...say after 15 yrs of marriage you get divorced have 3 kids...should these kids have to lose their homes, change schools, and be on food stamps just because the non custodial parent takes an emotional and financial vacation on them? Do you think welfare is good enough? Your thoughts? I am not suggesting that the gov should pay for people who squirt out kid after kid as a money making venture, but these are helpless voiceless kids...who is going to be their voice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you think children of dead beat parents, after a certain amount of time has passed with no child support, should be able to get social security, or that there should be some form of help/system in place for these children OR do you think it is just how it is, and the single parent should suck it up and deal with it?

Personally, I think people need to  own their decisions and choose their 'partners' more carefully...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No. I think AGAIN it comes down to they need to just enforce the LAWS. I have a friend whose ex is $1700 behind on CS. To go after him for it SHE has to PAY the court $1500! wth sense does THAT make?? Another problem...the amount! My cousin's ex pays a little over $200 a month for their little girl. Thats BS.That BARELY covers half the FOOD costs for the child! Much less clothing power, water, school stuff, medical ect ect ect. I think the system needs an overhaul...not PA :(
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No. I don't think the government (read taxpayers) should be responsible for maintaining a family's prior lifestyle after they go through a divorce.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:07 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• They already do get help, or at least they are supposed to get help. They state is supposed to garnish wages of dead beat parents. The problem lies in the red tape and incompetence of the system. I don't think the state should take care of them but I wouldn't have a problem taking the money out of their welfare checks though. Some of them turn into deadbeat people in general just so they don't have to pay.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No, I don't think the local or federal governments should pitch in when child support isn't received. A lot of parents get by without child support.
    I'm hyper liberal and I think that is going too far.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No, it is the reponsibility of the parents to care for their children. They weren't made by the government. I don't think the law is tough enough on the absentee parent. It has gotten too far out of hand. I read about the owing parent can lose their driver's liscense, wage attachment, unemployment wage attachment, SS attachment, bank accounts taken, etc. etc. etc., but, I have yet to see it followed up on. It would be wiser for the state to have 1 task force just for CS. Round them up, put them out on work programs and instead of the money going into an account for when they get out, give it to the kids., When the back owed is paid, let them go make a new life the best they can. The system as it is now just does not work.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• "Personally, I think people need to own their decisions and choose their 'partners' more carefully..."

Granted. But are we going to hold children responsible for the poor choices of adults?

Answer by gdiamante at 4:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Granted. But are we going to hold children responsible for the poor choices of adults?

***
    I think if we start holding parents accountable, it will force them to make better choices! I really feel if the wlefare programs were tougher to get on, and got phased out after a certain amount of time and/or upon additional dependents coming along AFTER one has been on such program(s) that the funding ends, and the parent(s) learn to become resourceful.

People survived for centuries before social welfare programs existed, they will have to learn again! This country is broke! There simply isn't enough money in the coffers to support so many people indefinitely. These programs have created more of a problem then they have helped eliminate it!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

Do you live a perfect life? Are you bullet proof? Do you have any garantee that you will not be left, he will go work under the table after being in a marriage for 20 yrs. Now all of a sudden you should have made a better choice? I am sorry but that is just stupid! Straight up ignorant. You cannot forsee how your relationship will turn out, there are no crystal balls. You would think after 20 yrs you would know a person. I think the broken part is the child support system. Dead beat parents get away with it. or thrown in jail, like that helps. I just don't think children should suffer for the choices adults make.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Mar. 2, 2011