How soon is too soon to get remarried?

My ex and I were married for 8 very long years.. after 3 years of trying to get him to sign uncontested papers I finally gave up and hired a lawyer. During the final separation (almost 2 years ago) I met someone who showed me that life is wonderful..

My divorce will be final in May and according to the courts I can remarry as soon as I want to but what is the time frame you would choose.. would you just get remarried as soon as the divorce is final or would you wait a set amount of time before remarrying to your Mr Wonderful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't think there is a specific time frame that is correct, I think it depends upon the circumstances of the situation. If you have been seperated and trying to get this divorce final for some time and it is all just a matter of legalities and you are comfortable with you new man and he is a part of your life and your children's life tthen do it when it feels right. What is right for one is not right for another. Base it upon your specific situation.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 2:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think its great that you met the one and if you have already been together for 2 years I think its fine to get remarried as soon as the divorce is finalized. You just want to make sure that he doesn't look perfect because your ex was an ass or something!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 2:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My divorce took almost 3 years because my ex wasn't cooperating so had to get lawyer and a child was involved in the process too. I met my current husband during that last half of the divorce process and married him within 2 months after the finalization of the divorce. Funny part to meeting my current and last husband is I met him on Eharmony, lol. I didn't rush into remarrying too fast but didn't wait too long either. I didn't rush too fast because I was scared to get into another relationship or marriage and it end up just like the first and at the time since I was divorcing because of domestic violence I was scared of being abused by a man in any way. It took a while to get over being scared and my husband has been by my side and been understanding the whole way daily.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I waited 20 years to remarry. I did not want my children to have a Step Parent, and I needed a long long break from the constraints of a relationship. Looking back on those years now...It was the best thing I ever did for myself.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Well, I had a three year separation after a 13 year marriage. The divorce was finalized in Sept. 2008 and I got remarried in June 2009, more out of respect for the kids’ feelings than anything. I also waited ‘til December 2008 to start wearing an engagement ring.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I waited four years but if you found someone then go for it. You have been separated a long time.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Depends on your situation. If you've dated him for awhile while being seperated and you feel that you're not making the same mistake as before, then its up to you when to marry him or not. Some people continue being single until kids are grown, others wait a few years and then there are some that are divorced one day and the next day they're remarried.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 4:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You've been with your new guy for several years - its not like you and your ex-husband just split up. My sister was married a week after her divorce was final - it took three years to get her divorce finalized so she hadn't been with her ex-husband in all that time.
    Anonymous

• Dont worry, from a social stand point, its a personal thing dont let anyone else tell you differntly, just make sure you are ready, and kids are too. Ask yourself whats going to make it right this time as oppose to the last time, and make sure your sex life is grrrrreat!!!
    Southlakeblondy

Answer by Southlakeblondy at 8:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You and I sound like we had the same exact lives.
    Well I got divorced but we waited about 6 years due t ofinancial problems. After that time we married anyways. We got tired of waiting for money and money dosent matter anyways love is all that maatters and if he treats your kids great and they love him too which was my case. If the first time was not right like mine and the second time is our perfect joys- go for it when is right for your hearts and do not worry about what people think!!!!
    Good luck and have a great marriage!
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011