She's almost a year...time to start wheaning...

I am currently breastfeeding, and my DD will be a year at the end of the month...I started wheaning my older DD when she was about a year and she was totally wheaned by 15 mo. The delema is this...when wheaning my older DD, I deciced out of guilt, that I would give her a passifier (keep in mind that she didn't have the passifier @ all till about 12-13mo), for comfort @ naptime and bedtime. This in turn created another habbit that was torture to brake.
So..I need HELP!!! My DD (a year at the end of the month),is the bigest boobie baby ever(LOL). I'm ready to start wheaning her (keep in mind that she still wakes up 1-3 times in the night to nurse, I think mostly for comfort...not out of hunger). I'm not sure how to do this with out a vice, such as a passifier.
I'd love some imput for you mommy's that have nursed for a long time...how did you make the transition from the breast???
She really only wants to nurse when she's tired...not really out of real hunger (she nurses 2-3 times in the day,in the morning,naptime and night right before I put her down..and then 1-3 times in the night).

mommyrocks5

Asked by mommyrocks5 at 1:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies DO get legitimately hungry, or even thirsty, during the night. Not all of them, but a lot of them do. Try other methods of comfort when she wakes at night before nursing. If all else fails, of course go ahead and nurse, because weaning DOES take time. CIO is up to you, but it's not something *I* recommend.

When a baby self weans, often times, it's so gradual, and over a such a long period, that many moms don't even realize they're close to being done, until they're just about done! Don't expect self weaning at this age though. It generally happens after age 2.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Weaning is done by dropping one feed per week till gone. Replace with formula up to the first birthday. After that, replace as you will.

Understand that you don't HAVE to wean at one year, and when you lead it you likely will not get cooperation. Also understand that weaning doesn't mean sleeping.

Weaning info to be found on kellymom.com, including information on night weaning.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I'm glad you asked this question because I'm going to need to know how to do it soon too! I'm so lost! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I know that I don't HAVE to whean at a year...I just think that the only reason that she wants to nurse is to fall a sleep and in the night time, I just think that it is to comfort her back to sleep. I don't think that the want to nurse comes from hunger. Does that make sense? I am just unsure as to what I should do at nap time and bedtime when that is what she wants to fall a sleep. What does that mean?? When you say "when you lead it you will not likely get cooperation."
    mommyrocks5

Comment by mommyrocks5 (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Drop one session per week. What else have you tried when she wakes during the night? What G means by her statement, is that when mom leads the weaning instead of the child leading the weaning, it's *usually *harder, and the child *usually *does not cooperate.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I really haven't tried anything yet. I was going to try the cry it out method and just lay her down when she's tired insted of nursing her to sleep...but that is just so heartbraking for mom and baby. I love to nurse her, don't get me wrong... but I'd say that the only nursing that is really because she is hungry is the morning nursing. The other times day and night, just for comfort. I'm not getting any sleep at night...at all, I would say in a average week, she is up 3 times in the night least 5 of those days. I know that she still needs breastmilk for neutritional purposes till she's a year and I'm not saying that I just want to quit nursing cold turkey...I want this to be a gradual process..I'm just not sure how to do it.
    mommyrocks5

Comment by mommyrocks5 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Don't assume she's not nursing out of hunger. If you absolutely cannot get her back to sleep without nursing or leaving her to cry (and I agree with you about CIO)... then she IS hungry and needs to nurse.

Assuming hunger hurts nothing but your sleep. Not assuming it *could lead to gain problems. For me, at least, interrupting my sleep is far more acceptable.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I agree that my sleep is far less important than her nursing out of hunger...I just thought that for a baby that is not a newborn night time feedings were more of a comfort thing to help baby back to sleep. I did not realize that a baby almost a year old would not be able to sustain herself through the night without being hungry. She is eating breakfast,lunch,and dinner, along with 2 sometimes 3 healthy snacks a day.
    I have not tried CIO yet. And I would absolutly nurse her if she weren't falling back a sleep within a resonable amount of time. Knowing that the cause for her not going back to sleep could be hunger.
    Also, how do you know when your baby is ready to stop nursing. Do they just start rejecting you??? It was said earlier that if you start wheaning before baby is ready then it's harder and baby doesn't cooperate.
    mommyrocks5

Comment by mommyrocks5 (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• WOW..OK Krysta622. I hear ya. I know with my older daughter it felt very gradual, but I also laid her down with a pacifier insted of nursing her and sometimes she would cry it out..other times she would just go to sleep. I am trying to avoid giving her a pacifier all together being that she has never used one. I don't wnt to create the same habbit that I did with my older daughter.
    I don't know that I can hang in there another year for her to self wean. That is why I am trying to figure out the right way to do this...I guess I should do as one of the other mom's suggested and just cut back 1 feeding a week. Thanks for the imput mommies.
    mommyrocks5

Comment by mommyrocks5 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011