I am confused on what i should do?

I have asked the dr if i should start giving my 5 month old son the solid food from the stage 2 but not the meats yet. But if i should give him like the mixed fruit, and the gerber juice and sweet peas and green beans since some of the food is the same in the supported sitter jars. He does sit up fairly well for only being 5 months old, he does lean to touch his toes to keep balance but i am sure by the time he is about 5 months and 3 weeks old or little less he will be doing it without leaning as far forward.
She told me to wait on the juice because then he will just want that and not his formula, and we had a similar problem with our formula where he would stop taking it and only want his solids, so we had to take his lunch, and supper solids away and just give it to him at bed time with a bottle. But he doesn't seem happpier anymore, so my dr said try just morning with his foods and at bed time. But he is still hungry.
Do i start giving him the mixed fruit, and jucies or do u think i should hold off. I don't want to start meat yet cuz he is only going to be 5months and i would like to hold that off until closer to 6months. Nurse told me not to do stage 2 foods with him including juices until he is closer to 6months, but if i do stage 2 foods do little bits. I don't know what i should do, should i listen to the Dr and Nurse, or go with my gut and see what happens, if worse comes to worse i will stop the juice and go where we are now and what we are doing
What do I do?

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 2:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started our baby on solids earlier than the doctor recommended...and it worked out fine for us!! She was hungry all the time!! And the formula was not doing it!! I hope this helps!!
    ScheNoe

Answer by ScheNoe at 2:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Really..I think the only difference with most of the stage 2 foods is that the size of the jar/container is larger...it doesnt seem any lumpier or a different texture to me.
    If you feel youre baby needs/wants it..give it to him. I would hold off on the meats too...but thats just me..I never gave any of my kids meat before 10/11 months...but that was regular table food meats..not the jarred stuff.
    Ask your pediatrician how many ounces of formula/breast milk the baby should be taking in daily. I believe its 24 ounces at the minimum is needed to be able to grow.So that is the most important things for the baby to take in right now...
    Juice isnt going to make the baby any fuller..it may make the baby poop more,lol. It will quench his thirst..but so will the formula/breast milk. To me,its just not essential at 5 months.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• There is no reason for a baby that young to have juice. He should get most of his calories from formula. I don't think there is a big difference between stage 1 and 2. I would stick to single foods - bananas, or peas, etc...
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would say...if you think that he's ready to start the stage 2 foods then you should give it a try. The only diffrence is the consistency and the amount. As far as the juice, I think that it would be ok to try it out. I would just say, only give it to him from a age appropreate sippy cup and dilute it 1 part juice and 3 parts water. And maybe just give it to him once a day. At lunch time or something like that while he's eating baby food. I would never use it to replace breastmilk or formula, and I would not give it from a bottle. Only from a sippy cup. If you see that he is not ready after trying these things I would go back to no juice and 1st foods.
    mommyrocks5

Answer by mommyrocks5 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No juice. Period. Not needed. Give him his formula FIRST.Then mash a banana or give him apple sauce or avocado. YOUR foods, not jarred stuff. He never needs the jarred stuff. If he's not ready for a bit of banana he's not ready for solids.

Solids are an afterthought. The formula is more important.

Docs and nurses sadly are often poor guides on infant nutrition. You might check out the wholesomebabyfoods website.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• He takes a 7oz bottle in the morning, and by 10am he is starving so i hold him off at least until 11:45 for another bottle which then usually consists around another 7 to 8oz bottle.. then around 3Pm he starts screaming and chewing his hand and shoving his whole fist in his mouth, but i hold him off again until like 3:50pm and he then drinks a 8oz to 9oz bottle by 4pm or after 4pm. then he is acting hungry again by 6pm and i am trying my best to hold him off, even if it is cuddling on our guest bed and rocking him until he takes a nap and he then forgets about it, and i then am able to give a bottle to him by 8pm where again he drinks an 7-8oz bottle and some rice cereal mixed with right now peas, half a container or jar depending on what i open first.
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Have you tried smaller bottles, more often?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• no
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Don't hold him off. Feed him small bottles when he is hungry. Infant tummies don't come with timers. **grin** And they are better at regulating their food intake when you simply follow their demands.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Its not regular juice, it is the gerber juice, it comes in 4oz little containers. i tried it today a put it in his bottle after he drank a 7oz bottle for his supper. I dont' think he liked it
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011