Uuuummm...what?

blank stareDiscuss how national disasters could be better handled by first responders, and then the federal government. Hurricane Katrina was initially the failure of the first responders and then the federal government. What technology was available to these responders? Make sure to include Emergency Operations Centers (EOC) and their relationship to first response, and follow on actions. Discuss how your city and state are prepared for an emergency and compare to the failings of the City of New Orleans and the state of Louisiana to correctly respond as first responders prior to and during Hurricane Katrina. Review the Posse Comitatus Act and did that act apply to Hurricane Katrina and FEMA's delayed response? Please remember that the federal government and FEMA are not usually the first responders to a state or city based emergency.

This is what I'm supposed to research for discussion this week. My brain is not yet fully awake, and I see the words, I read them 4 different times, but my brain isn't connecting to it I guess.  This is what happens when you pull all nighters and go to bed at 5 am and wake up at 9 am.

proudmom2510

Asked by proudmom2510 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in

• In questions like this I typically take it one sentence and one question at a time. Answer all of them individually and then combine the information into an overall answer. :)

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Wow....I agree, I've read it a couple of times and still feel dizzy...My own opinion is that first responders ARE those in the affected area..With Katrina, those that stayed behind are the first responders! It didn't matter the "why's" people stayed behind it matters that they didn't take the measures necessary to protect themselves AFTER the storm...Basic needs were not met by those there. We are all responsable for ourselves and our families..We must learn to take care of oursleves as best we can because we CAN NOT depend on State or Government help...We can not "pass the buck" on to those around us..I understand that because of finances ect...some are better able to prepare for these storms but we all must learn to not depend on outside help..Neighbors and communities must stand together. BE ACCOUNTABLE. We lived in a travel traler for 22 fixing our house from Ivan we learned what to do and not to do ....
    motherganey5

Answer by motherganey5 at 2:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Take it one step at a time, after you've had some rest.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:57 AM on Mar. 2, 2011