Would you report this child to the authorities?

If you found out that your 15 year old daughter had sex with a 18 year old male, would you report the male? I am on the fence about it because there is only a 3 year difference. I don't know that I think about it in a perverted way. I see them both as children trying to be grown up. How would you handle this?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 2:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• No I would not. That is completely stupid in my book.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• there is only a 3 year difference.

^^^^ Well said.
    khf22

• It is really up to you. If you want to think about them as children, give him a warning, and tell him that if he comes near her again before she is 18, you will call the cops on him. But i dont think it should be allowed to happen again.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't She is old enough to know better. The 18 year old could go to jail! Is that what you want?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would only report it if she claims she didn't consent to sex. If she consents, I think there really isn't much you can do except file charges for statutory rape.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• No, why ruin his life over his? Like you said it's only 3 years. If you report him he'll be labeled as a sex offender for the rest of his life if he is charged. I personally think you need to punish your daughter and forbid her from seeing him.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• This actually happened to a friend of mine, and she reported the boy. I am very upset by this because I know the boys mother. The mom of the daughter went off on me though for defending the boy, and said that her daughter isn't allowed around me anymore because I am a bad influence.
    usdragonflies

Comment by usdragonflies (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• he didnt rape her she had sex willingly i know you probably dont like the fact that she had sex at her age,you need to have a talk with both of them
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I think if you report one you should report both. It is so stupid to me that when there is CONSENTUAL sex between two people that one can get into trouble while the other gets out of it free and clear.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Nope nope nope..... sorry I disagree 14 and 18 I would be weary about 13 and below with anyone over 16 for sure needs reported.
    Its the age 15 I dated 19 year olds at that age.
    MelissaAnn224

Answer by MelissaAnn224 at 2:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011