Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just wondering........

During tax season, after my ex does his taxes, I get part or all of it (child support), here is my husband thinks he deserves half of that money, would you give him half or none? FYI-my husband pays the car payments and the house payment, I pay for daycare, groceries, school supplies, clothes, electric, gas/water, etc. I am just wondering what your thoughts are on this........

Answer Question

Asked by kaceym08 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 4 (36 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • No the money comes to you in  the way of child support. It should be just for the expenses of the child your ex is supporting.


    Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • Was this part of the original agreement? Does he pay every month and for specific things? I say that it's his money if it isn't part of the agreement and he pays every month. On the other hand, if he's missed anything, you should take what he owes, plus interest, from his return.

    Answer by Nonoluna at 2:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • The money is CHILD support not husband play money

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • Whoever the child resides with fully is the one that claims the child on their tax return. The money for child support is supposed to be going to things to support the actual child and nothing else.

    Answer by shortmommy23 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • IDK, because all money that comes into our household goes into one big pot, by which to pay bills. All money spent is agreed upon by both parties. His money is my money, and my money is his money.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • I've never understood how married couples have separate money. My DH and I have always done our funds as OURS, not mine and his. And now that he's the only one working, he still calls it OUR money. When our taxes came in, it was OURS, and WE decided what we should do with it, not him alone. That being said, no, I don't think you should have to give your DH half of your child support money unless he plans on using it for the children specifically or for bills. I'd use it for something for the children, or to pay bills or something, not play money.

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 3:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • only child support..

    Answer by smiley745 at 4:18 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • Hmm this is a no brainer, So you mean to say your husband doesnt put any money what so ever into theat child? AND that child doesnt live in the house he pays for?

    Hmm something is weird, aren't families 1? Spouses especially.

    Hell if that was me, Id throw the kid out, im paying for his damn shelter and the car the little bastard sits in. You can pay all that other crap, but without shelter and transportation youd be in a bad spot.

    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • Maybe I should ex pays "back child support" and unitl it is completely paid off, any tax refund he gets goes straight to me, on top of the monthly child support he has to pay. My current husband is the one in question about getting any of the child support money from my ex's taxes. Don't get me wrong my current husband is wonderful and did adopt my son, but he seems to think that in this situation whats mine is his and his is mine yet he refuses to have joint accounts and we split our tax refunds down the middle.

    Comment by kaceym08 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

  • I agree that incoming money is "our" money- but this is child support money NOT play money. It should go towards your child. Put it in a college fund, buy him some clothes or a new bed... But I wouldn't let your or your husband blow it.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.