Can't afford a crib, what to do?

Any ideas of places that could help? I don't know what to ask when I call churches.... Any thoughts would be great. We have almost everything else we need but with our ridiculous heating bills, we're just coming up short

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

• try freecycle.org or craigslist... they'll be used items but at a cheaper price. do you have any local yardsales or thrift shops? if not a crib, could you at least afford a bassinet.. even just a little moses basket? it's probably not what you would like, but at least somewhere for your little one to sleep.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 6:58 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• We have a bassient, thank God. We also have a pack and play, so for a few months she will be okay. I've been looking around but can't find anything
    Anonymous

• try looking at craigslist most the time they are selling cribs cheap or maybe you could find a bassinet that would work for a couple months. did you buy a playpen? cuz that would work to. you can try calling churches just tell them whats going on sometimes they have places you can go to get what you need.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:01 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• ...and just remember that if you don't end up finding one, there are ways to make your baby a home-made bed for a while. I didn't use a crib for any of my children, they all co-slept. I bought a crib for each one of them, but never used it.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 7:02 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• We got rid of our crib after our third child (we hadn't planned on having anymore) and we got a pack n play for a shower gift and that is what we are using. He will be one next week and sleeps just fine in it,
    baby4at38

Answer by baby4at38 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• The pack and play will be just fine. In fact, if it has an insert that turns it into a bassinet it will work even longer than a regular bassinet. Keep in mind that you don't have to spend a crazy lot on a crib...I got mine at Wal-Mart for $100 and I think the mattress was $30. (incidentally, I never even used it...my daughter co-slept) Cribs are something people are usually dying to get rid of because once your kids are out of them (or in my case never in them) they're just a huge hunk of furniture that takes up room in your house and hold no other purpose. I'm sure if you put up an ad in the newspaper that said what you could afford to pay and offered to pick it up, you would get a ton of responses.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• You could also try Catholic Charities
    Anonymous

• I was in the same boat. We bartered on craigslist and got one.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:17 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Catholic charities has been helpign us with diapers and everything, do they really help with big things though?
    Anonymous

• I would suggest that you jsut stick with the pack n play. My last 3 kids slept in those. My first got his ankle twisted in the rails of his crib. my son slept in his till 18 mo when he figured out how to crawl out, my daughter is abuot 16 mo and still in hers, and our 5 mo old is in one as well. They take up less room, they can't get their feet or arms caught, and if you go to a local fabric shop you should be able to find High desity foam. We cut the foam just slightly larger then the actual pads. Then we just get a twin size matress pad and cut and sew to size, same with the flat sheet.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2008