Why do atheists/agnostics debate the god concept?

Also, why do they debate the nature of religion?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think religious debate is a good thing for everyone to do because it forces you to actually think about what you believe just to put it into words. It's also interesting to learn why people believe some of the things they do, or at least to try to understand where they're coming from.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We don't debate it unless someone questions us and ask us questions. Why must believers feel the need to debate with us?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I learn a lot by debating, even about myself. BTW, everyone debates the God concept, not just atheists.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Why does anyone debate anything? Why can't we all simply "live and let live"? Is it simply the nature of man to be curious about his nature? The desire to be "Right" ? Or the quest for deeper understanding? Really you can spin it anyway you like but the answer is people (in general) just do. Whether it's debating religion, politics, parenting styles, or pizza toppings.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• What mommy_of_two388 says. Personally, I couldn't care less what you believe in, until you start trying to force your beliefs on others. If you want to believe in a bearded man in the sky, go right ahead. But don't try to enforce those beliefs on others, when they don't believe the same thing. Make sense?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I believe whomever wants to discuss religion can and should its good to hear what other people have to say once and a while.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• OP- I think you and Mommy are on the same side here- I think you two are misunderstanding each other- I think Mommy does not believe in God as well-

I don't believe in God and her title on here makes it seem like she is a believer bashing why Atheist debate when they don't believe. We both may not be believe in God but it doesn't give the right to sit on here and tell everyone that does believe that they are wrong, blah blah blah. She is making other Atheist look bad. That is why Atheist don't argue about it because there is no point in fighting over something we do not believe in. I don't believe but I will never sit there and argue with believers about it unless they choose to argue with me and ask me questions about why I don't believe. I respect others different beliefs even if we share differences of opinions.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Debate leads to understanding-

Questions like this are leading- perhaps it would be a good idea if you disclose your position so those that may unwilling fall in to your trap at least have some warning-

I would assume that your study of "psychology and neuroscience" lead you to word your question this way, but I would hope your grasp of ethics would lead you to some type of disclosure-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:38 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• So it shouldn't be discussed at all? or the Atheists should just stay out of it?
    being an athiest doesn't mean we have no interest or that we don't believe in anything...

for me- I think it is very interesting to see how different people interpret the bible, I wonder WHY they believe and how...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If the objective facts change, I'll change my mind.

Me too- until then- I am a believer in God ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011