How the heck can a reliable couple get into a rental house without drama?

This is the story.. we have NO drama. We make good money, no children at home. We go to look at a rental home, telling the guy that if everything is okay, we would give him a deposit and still expect to give our present landlord a 30 day notice, out of respect. Today, I get a call saying he gave it to someone else with a more desperate situation, that after telling us yesterday how he always makes mistakes with the wrong people because he had poor judgment. Guess what Dude?? Ya did it again!

So, I am carefully planning my desperate attack for the next situation... should it be alcohol, should it be two black eyes, should it be me pulling a wagon with all my belongings in it? Help??

LOL!

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 2:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I like the wagon idea! If you rolled up to my place pulling a wagon full of your belongings I would let you stay here for free!
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would figure as a landlord you wouldnt want a desperate situation.. Keep trying there has to be someone out there who will rent to you.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Sounds like the landlord did you a favor - obviously he is a bad decision maker (he's told you as much) which means he would probably make bad decisions as a landlord which would inevitably affect you.

We had the same situation this past summer - basically your situation. We both make excellent money, normal people and and we had an AWFUL time trying to find a house to rent. We were going through realtors who had to go through perhaps a listing agent which did NOT work for us. They always picked "a nice couple with children" or someone "with better credit" etc.

We finally had much better success finding a house on craigslist or renter.com (can't remember exactly) but it was posted by an actual owner - when the owner saw us drive up in a mercedes and spoke to us to see we were normal people - he rented to us on the spot.

I am going to say chalk this up as - you dodged a bullet with a potentially bad landlord. Good luck!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It's pretty obvious to me that it wasn't the right place for you to live. Here's to you finding it. Sounds like you're doing everything right. It feels sometimes like other people (who are more desperate) have it easier but really consider that thought.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Apparently that land lord needs the money more than good tenants. Just think of it like this.....a better place will come up for you and you will be glad this happened. Good Luck hon.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 2:39 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I don't think you need a landlord like that. I know this is frustrating, but the hassle you have to go through looking for another place will be worth it when you find the right one. Good luck.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Oh, I am soo sorry. Looking for a place sucks royally.

On our last two places, we wound up having to "pitch" ourselves by paying 3 months upfront for one and six months upfront for the other.

We finally decided we needed tro buy a place because we couldn't deal with all of those games anymore.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• speaking from experience of trying to find a rental houses you will end up in that situation a lot :( I wouldnt get your hopes up about a place until you give him the money and its yours.
    bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Sounds like the property manager is a glutton for punishment! There are plenty of them who aren't though, so keep looking and GOOD LUCK!!!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 3:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• As someone that has recently had to move in a desperate situation (our bedroom roof was leaking badly and mold was starting to grow after just finding out that I was pregnant and our landlord refused to fix it and gave us only 12 days to move if we wanted to) yes, I can see why they guy you talked to did what he did. They would have been an immediate tenant. I don't understand why he said that he "always makes mistakes with the wrong people because he had poor judgment. " That is not something a professional landlord would disclose.

I have also had apartments jacked out from under me before I could sign a lease even AFTER I paid for the app
    But unless you signed a lease or a contract with intent to lease he was well within his rights to rent to someone else.

And as for your comment of "Guess what Dude?? Ya did it again!" you don't know the situation they were in. Maybe they did need a place to live more urgently than you
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2011