What is the going rate for a 13 year olds allowance?

My 13 year old gets $10.00 a month. Now that his brother is working, he does not get allowance any longer. If the 13 year old helps me with extra chores around the house when I need the help, without complaining, he can earn an additional $10.00. He thinks he should be getting more when he does extra work.

mlanderson

Asked by mlanderson at 2:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't provide my boys an allowance, they do get money each month for various things, mainly when going out with friends, a school dance or sporting event etc. In order to have money for those things, they do what they are asked.
    We've never had an issue with having chores done or even extra's, because they value their independance and freedom. They know if things aren't done, they don't have time with their friends. My older son will have the priviledge of driving taken away.

I've considered the allowance but find this works better for us.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• we give my 11ss $5.00 a week to do the dishes , feed and water the dogs , and help clean the kitchen and living room after school
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i think 10 a month is good if all he does is the mimumim but if he goes all out i'd up it maybe 20-30 if hes going real good .... i as a teen sole things i wanted cuz i didnt have the money now i see how wrong it was i hope he's a good kid and admire u make him work for the money ... lots of parents just hand it out
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 3:13 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• At 13 my kids were getting$20 a week. BUT out of that $20 they had to buy lunch at school. They were not allowed to spend it on something else and then come home and devour the frig or pantry. The could have one item out of the snack box..that's it. Also any entertainment, CDs, magazines..all had to come out of their allowance. Lunches are $2 a day. In order to earn the other $10..all chores must be completed daily without hassle. Everyday they did NOT complete w/o hassle they lost $1.40. Many weeks my youngest only got his lunch money. He learned quickly after that. Also, when my oldest began working he still had chores to do at the house. He worked out a deal with his brother. If he did his chores for him, he would pay him. As long as they were done, and done properly I didn't care how they worked it out.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• From the 7th grade until the end of the 10th grade my sons got $20 every 2 weeks...but it was not really an allowance. They got it so that they had money to go out with friends and to just have a little spending money in general. If they got poor grades, didn't do their chores, misbehaved, etc. they got grounded from going out and if they were grounded they didn't need the $20 every 2 weeks to do anything. So, as long as they followed the rules, did their chores, got good grades (A's and B's) and did not misbehave they had the freedom to go out and to spend time with friends which also meant getting $40 a month. The summer between 10th and 11th grade they started working and we stopped giving them money. They still followed the because they wanted the freedom to go out with friends and to socialize so they followed the rules and did what was expected of them, money or no money.
    Anonymous

• My 13 year old daughter gets $15.00 per week. She can spend that as she pleases. She gets lunch money as well. If she is going to a movie I will sometimes give her extra. Sometimes she gets $20.00 because I don't have a ten and five . $10.00 a month is a very small allowance in my opinion.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My 6 yr old gets $10 a week. My 10 (almost 11) gets $15. My 17 yr old with a job gets $20 to help out with gas to go to school (schools only half mile away so $20 is more than enough). By 13 I do usually bump them to the teen rate of $20 a week. This number can go down depending on behavior, grades and attitude at home.

Answer by gemgem at 3:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011