Cord blood?

i know you can donate cord blood, but what do they do with the donated blood?

vampire2007

Asked by vampire2007 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Health

• if I remember right they store it and use it in some research or use it for ppl who it matches too like they do with organs I think double check me cause I can't remember 100%
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i never heard of donating it. i thought you just paid to store it in case your child ended up needing it later
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 4:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• For the transplant to be a success, stem cells taken from the cord blood must match the patient's tissue type as closely as possible. So, for patients to have the best chance of a 'match' we need to store as many cord blood donations as possible, and we can't do this without you.

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/cordblood/cordblood/uses/

something lke what the first answerer was getting at.. don't totally understand it but I did donate my daughters cord blood
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011