Is my 3 year old Not getting enought sleep that he is acting out at me?

We started a new thing with him, it was working until 2 days ago when his behavior i thought was changing really was not.
My son goes to bed at 7:30pm at wakes up at 7am. he used to go to bed at 7:30pm and would talk and get out of bed and play until like 11pm and would finally be quite at 11:30pm. Now i stoped that and i put him down at 7:30pm and tell him it is bed time we don't get out of bed to play or we don't talk either, we need our rest so we can get big and strong. He has been quite but i don't check to see if he is sleeping so i assume he falls asleep around 7:45pm and wakes up at 7am sometimes 7:15am. he gets a nap at 2:30 but falls asleep closer to 3pm and wakes up at 4pm.
His bedtime routine on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays are at 6:30pm or 7pm he drinks his pediasure, and after he is done with that we put his jammies on, brush his teeth and say good night to daddy. Then it is off to upstairs where then i talk to him for 5 or 10mins to talk about his day and his behavior, after talking about that i ask him to give me a hug and kiss and i close his closet door, cover him, kiss him again, say i love u and good night, remind him lights are out and door is getting shut so no talking. It is the same on Wednesday's and Sundays too but with a bath at 7pm and pediasure then at 6:30pm.
For Nap we have snack at 2pm, while eating snack i turn TV off, and put pull ups on, then he goes back and eats snack and while eating again i read at least 2 stories before i lay them down. Before i put blankets on i say it is nap time, i give him 10mins to sleep on his own if not sleeping i go in and sit with him where i am in there for another 10mins before he is asleep by 10 to 3pm. He always looks so tiered like underneath his eyes are red but he refuses sleep.He has a night light on at bedtime light enough for him not to be scared and dark enough for him to realize it is bed time.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 3:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• not sure what the question is really...if he won't take a nap anymore, then do quiet time. I had my kids lay on the couch with their blankets or whatever and watch a movie. They had to lay there the whole time and no talking
    both of my kids stopped napping by 2 1/2 and if I remember right - they slept from around 8ish to 6amish (it's bee awhile-they are teens now)

If he is "acting out at you"- what do you mean exactly?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:33 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i mean hitting, kicking, bitting, crying, throwing toys, been in time out twice in one day
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If he cannot settle down at bedtime he may not need the nap any longer. It seems that the nap is too late and then he cannot settle down at night. My two gave up their naps at age two. You could try a quiet time after lunch where he plays quietly in his room or does coloring, etc with you nearby.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• little ones don't really know how to express thier frustrations and anger productively yet- so they throw fits and bite and whatever else. I don't think it's a sleep related issue -at least in this case, it sounds like he is getting plenty of it. Do you get to his level and ask him what he wants or why he threw the toy or whatever? 3 yr olds are tough- mine were way worse at 3 than at 2.
    Take a breath, this will pass eventually ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I get at his level and ask why he threw it, he says he is mad, I say its ok to be mad, but not ok to throw things cuz it hurts. I talk to him and tell him what i expect of him and remind him through the day.
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011