Since I have return back to work my milk supply has went way down.......

do you have any suggestions on how to increase my milk supply. Since I have went back to work im having to pump all the milk she will not take it directly from the breast I dont want to give up on breastfeeding andy suggestions things that have worked for you thank you in advance.

Twowildboys

Asked by Twowildboys at 3:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• in my personal expirence if i dont pump every 2-3 hr i dont make enough milk ... this is my first time breast feeding and i love the feeling try it even if it is just for ten minutes it keeps ur supply fresh and refilling the breast
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 3:06 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• u need to pump every 2-3 hours u are away from the baby! for 15-20 min at a time! the normal out put is 1/2oz to 2oz each breast so just cuz it doesnt look like much doesnt mean ur supply is going down!! some women do not respond to pumps well! wat kind of pump do u have? if u really believe ur supply is dropping talk to a LC in ur area or u can take fenugreek 3 pills 3times a day! or eat oatmeal, make sure u are drinking LOTS of water too!!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• When I went back to work I didn't pump. I nursed her in the morning. At daycare she had formula. I nursed when I got home, in the evening and at night. Somehow my body adjusted to this. I did the same with my son. We kept it up for 9 months.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Most times when you pump, it is average to only get 1 oz between BOTH breasts at each session.

Pumps are not effective for most women at getting milk out.

Other things that you can try are eating oatmeal, Mother's milk tea and fenugreek supplements
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• nurse right before you have to go work and right when you get home drink plenty of water how many breaks do you get when i worked i would pump on both my breaks and the ending or beginning of my lunch
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 3:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If you're only pumping it needs to be every two hours. There is info on kellymom.com on getting baby back to the breast if you want to pursue that.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently when you are with your baby
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Pump every 2 to 3 hours and drink Breastea. It was the only way I could increase my milk supply while exclusively pumping. You can get it from breastea.com.
    bigmamaisback

Answer by bigmamaisback at 10:54 AM on Mar. 22, 2011