How long did you breast feed for? And what age do you think is approperate? And at what age do you think is to old for the baby to do it?

The reason I ask is because. We are pregnant with baby number 3. My first nured only 2 days then I brought her home from the hospital and she wouldnt latch on so I gave up (I had noone teach me what to do). Baby number 2 I nursed for 2 weeks (again noone taught me what to do not even nurse both times), I started drying up but I know the reasons for that. I had 2 blood patches (was leaking spinal fluid) the first time was the day after I had the baby and had to lay flat on my back for 3 hours so I couldn't nurse. The day after coming home I had to go back to the ER and had another done (my mom and sister watched my 2.5 year old and 4 day old baby) so I had no milked pumped they had to give formula so as you can see half the time I wasnt able to nurse for pump from the pain. So I started drying up. Well this one my OB told me he will assure me that someone will teach me(he said he doesn't know why noone did) anway, if this goes well I want to nurse as long as possible because this is going to be our last baby and I miss that I couldn't do it before. So I was wanting to see everyone elses thoughts on this and how long I should do it or can> I am pretty positive that if it works out that I want to do it longer than a year, but I don't want people saying stuff because I am doing it longer than normal.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like you need to find a lactation consultant. They won't come to you, you will have to search them out. Most hospitals will have one.
    I nursed for 11 months until she self-weaned. I wanted to nurse to 2 years and then re-evaluate.

It is possible to nurse for years.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Good for you to keep wanting to try!

I will have to default to the "Nursing for at least a year, then however long it it MUTUALLY acceptable to baby and mom." That may be the WHO or a large pediatric group, I forget which ...

IMO, people who say "stuff" are ignorant, insensitive jerks who really just need to mind their own damn business! You are doing what is best for you and your baby.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 3:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Normal is into toddlerhood or so. SO don't worry!
    ;-)

There are different ties/reasons to wean, but I would work hard to avoid weaning before 3.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• haha! I think we were thinking almost the same question at the same time! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I bf my oldest for about 3 mos but my 2nd I bf for 22-23 mos she was right at 2 I stopped b/c I was pregnant w/ my ds and my breast were overly sensitive I'm currently bfing ds 6 mos old and will until he self weans
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• In our state we have lactation consultants that will come to your house to help teach you how to get your baby to latch-on properly. I wanted to nurse with my first baby, but i became very ill after i gave birth with a fever of 103 and my potassium was dangerously low so i was too out of it to nurse right away....i did try but gave up quickly. With my second son....he was born with Down Syndrome and could not latch on so i pumped for 6 months then gave formula. I was determined to nurse with my 3rd son and it worked out...he latched-on right away and i nursed him for 14monts...he self-weaned i think because i became pregnant with baby number 4 who is currently nursing at 10 months old. I plan to nurse until he is ready to stop or at 2 yrs of age, whichever comes first.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have three kids. I nursed my first to 20 months and if he hadn't been such a big almost two year old I may have gone a few more months even but I was done at that point (he was not!) my second to 15 months and my third only to 9 months unfortunately because once her teeth came in she was a biter. Not the couple times my first two were but all the time. Enough was enough.

I think as long as mom and baby are comfortable then go for it. Its best for baby up to age 3! My nearly two year old weighed over 30lbs though and looked about 4. When the most comfortable nursing position is they stand and they ask for it not you, and you feel like Elsie the Cow you're done!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 3:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• PS if you ask for help in the hospital a nurse will help you start to nurse and will probably send a lactation specialist in.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 3:30 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I bf'ed until 3 mos. before each of mine (5 children) started Kindergarten. My children were born in Dec., Jan., March and June and started K the August after they turned 5 so 3 were 5 and 2 were almost 6. I had 5 children in 18 years so there were times when I was nursing 2 at once and there was a few mos. when I was nursing 3 until the older of the 3 was weaned.
    Anonymous

• 1st child I nursed for 7 months
    2nd child I nursed for 17 months

Do what ya can & whats best.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 1, 2011