Moms who nurse..at what age do you notice your friends/family to start kinda "gasping" and saying wow..youre STILL breastfeeding? lol

My baby is only 5 months..but within the past two weeks i've had 3 different people make a comment about my still breast feeding him :(
I just say the same thing over and over...There just isn't any good reason at this point for me to stop nursing him.I'm at home full time.I don't like to pump very often because it just makes me overproduce and I end up leaking and that is so super uncomfortable and it is good for him..and its free...I just see no reason to stop right now when we've been so successful with it.
And why do I feel like I'm defending myself? lol

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:19 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am the only person on my side of the family who has nursed or coslept, and I have gotten a lot of "Poor Joe having to share you AND his bedroom." Very negative. Oddly, my father, who could never in a million years breastfeed is my only support from my side of the family. He has "researched it" and thinks its "the way to go" lol

My in-laws, however are COMPLETELY supportive. My MIL is an OB nurse and nursed all of her kids, so she knows the benefits and has the practical experience....plus almost everyone else on that side of the family has nursed so its very normal to them.

I am fortunate that I have somewhere I can go where it feels completely normal. Try to find support where you can even if it is not your own family...and arm yourself with a statistic to throw back at em when they start questioning you. WHO recommends until 2, helps prevent SIDS, my pedi says to. Deflect, I suppose!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Wow 5 months is young. I nursed til my dd was 15 months old. I wanted to make it until she was 1 then she got a cold and then we had to wean. I finally just had to go cold turkey. People acted like I was insane for still nursing. My dd was allergic to dairy so I had a good excuse to nurse until she was 1....so weird that we need an excuse!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I heard it as early as 4-6 months, but mostly anytime after a year.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 3:21 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• At 5 months? I could see them saying that at 18 months. People are so weird. Ignore them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• As soon as I started, members were asking why I was doing it.

I told them that it was my child and I would feed them as I chose. If they had a problem with it, they should avert their eyes or not visit.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• lol im right there with u!! ive been exclusively pumping for over a year now! everyone thinks in insane!! just say im doing wat i think is best for my baby! good for u for breast feeding for so long!!! there is nothing wrong with it! its just that alot of women stop when they go back to work! im a sahm too so i have the time to breast feed and dont see the big deal! its much easier to flop out the boob and put the baby on then to make the bottle warm the bottle all while the baby is screaming!!! u are doing great!!!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have gasped at a woman breastfeeding a 10 year old..seemed gross to me. 5 months is perfectly fine!
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Mine were all breastfed until the 3 mos. before they started Kindergarten and luckily the circle of friends that I have support that choice (as all of them are also EBer's). My family lives across the country so they had no input.
    Anonymous

• I would take it as a compliment (even if it wasnt intended that way)

I would just say "yea I am a pro, what can I say I'm good at it" It leaves them open to give you a compliment back :)

I breastfed both of mine till about 9 months....just started bf my newborn 3 weeks ago! Going great!

I think soooo many people give up or quit that its unusual to see someone do it long term. Even though to me 5 months seems normal...lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Really? 5 months and their giving you crap! Wow! I think you are doing the right thing and there is no reason to stop. Are they going to pay for the supplement themselves if they expect you to stop now? Formula is getting to be almost $23 a can for a week!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 3:24 PM on Mar. 1, 2011