Crib to Toddler Bed

I am starting to wonder when is a good time to transition from a crib to a toddler bed. I put my daughter into a toddler bed a little early since she could fall out of her crib, but I don't want to put my boy into a toddler bed too early.

Mom0413

Asked by Mom0413 at 3:22 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We waited until our son was 2.5 to make the switch. That was a perfect time for us.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• If you have space, I liked having both in my son's room and letting him pick where he wanted to sleep. Once he consistently chose the toddler bed, bye-bye went the crib.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 3:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My oldest would have been happy in his crib forever but we switched him at 2.5 because we needed the crib for our youngest. Our youngest was climbing out of the crib around 19 months so we got him a bed then. I would leave him there as long as he is happy and you don't need the crib.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• JZ1, I love that! I am having the same issue right now. It is time to put my litle one in a toddler bed. She is so proud to be able to get up to switch books, and sit in her bed to read them that she is not wanting to go to sleep. I think that your solution would be GREAT!
    Thanks ;0)
    sissy15

Answer by sissy15 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• The blog http://toddlertips4u.wordpress.com has a great video on transitioning a little one to a toddler bed. There are some tips out there to help with the process so hope this helps!
    toddler101

Answer by toddler101 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I heard somewhere not too long ago that you need to switch to a toddler bed when your child is 35 inches tall. We switched our older son when he was 3.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 6:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I put my son in a toddler bed when he was like 18 months old. It was givin to me & I thought what the hell I'll see if he'll sleep in it & he has since. He needs a new one he just turned 3.
    MomofSteel

Answer by MomofSteel at 7:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We got twin beds ( just because before you blink an eye your buying another bed cuz toddler is too small) for the boys when they started climbing out of their cribs
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 10:28 PM on Mar. 1, 2011