Why do moms bully other moms?

I posted a question several different times under several different headings just as an experiment. Same question, nothing different about it. Every time it was answered, the first person who answered set the tone for how all the other moms answered. If the first mom posted something kind and thoughtful, so did all the other moms. But if she posted something nasty and derrogatory, so did all the other moms. I posted the question after reading dozens of replys to other questions about the same thing, just curious to see if it were true. My question is, why? Why do people feel that its okay to be mean to a complete stranger? And, I have to add, most of the answers posted by mean moms were posted anonymously.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I think some people just need to learn how to edit their thoughts. It makes sense to me to have "anonymous" answers because sometimes people ask health questions, or relationship questions that I don't feel comfortable answering honestly with my name attached (I don't have that privilege yet). On the other hand it allows some women to be nasty without other people calling them out for being nasty.

Some people are just mean.
    angelmommy11

Answer by angelmommy11 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Hrm..I think I know who this is. *chuckles*
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 5:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• depends on what kind of question it was. Were they questions that you knowingly
    knew would stir drama?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I guess for me it depends on the type of question being asked and how that question is worded. Sometimes I have read questions on here that came across as rude and snarky, so my reply would be more blunt and to the point, still never belittling someone. With others, I tend to read my response before posting, because I do not want my answer to come off as rude. I am a pretty sensitive person, and sometimes I misinterpret how someone is responding. As for posting anon, this happens a lot! Usually those people either do not want friends and or family who may have an account as well to see what their question/response it, or its people who know they are being rude and will be bashed for their response!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Its classic Sociology, the part about the moms following the initial mothers lead. Personally I don't read others responses, unless its the original person (who asked the ques) comment. People being obnoxious with an anonymous alias is stereotypical with saying things they generally wouldn't otherwise (kind of like why ppl ask questions anonymously). Sometimes ppl are just blunt though, which can be mistaken for rudeness.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• When people can post anonymously they kinda let it all hang out I think. Its like really knowing what kind of person they are, and they should take a good look I think and see if they like it. I try not to be mean to anyone, in real life or online, but moms being mean to each other happens every day, in real life and online.

Answer by gemgem at 3:44 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• i guess it would depend what the question was, because i know times when i have answered something in relationship section and i don't want others to know what happened to me then i will post my answer anonymously. sometimes people are just trying to help but some people are hateful, and i know that i have taken things the wrong way but i can be sesitive to things at times. I would never try to hurt anyone just because, but i also know that i have taken things others have said the wrong way because of the mood i was in or thinking that i am right and nobody else knows what they are talking about. lol
    just try not to let others get to you, something i have to remind myself at times.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• yup, when there is the ability to remain faceless people like to get nasty. probably insecurity or lack of control in their real life. don't let it get you down
    juliness

Answer by juliness at 3:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Roller Derby

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Insecurities, women ahve and it dosent stop when you become a mom? What type of bullying are you experiencing?
    Southlakeblondy

Answer by Southlakeblondy at 8:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011