Anyone ever

so my DH has some bills from before we were married and we are FINALLY going to be able to pay them off with our tax return

We have been getting the settlement papers in the mail saying you owe this company X amount and you can pay Y amount.

My question is, has anyone ever paid them through those letters or are they a scam?

Parkers_Mommy8

Asked by Parkers_Mommy8 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• I settled with a couple of companies and I made all the arrangements over the phone. After the phone calls they sent a letter detailing our agreement which I signed and returned to them.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:45 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• This is a good question, I would like to know this as well! BUMP!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I've settled over the phone but not through letters. Also from when my husband was in debt before me. Men, ugh.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 3:48 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• It is not a scam. They want to get whatever money they can get. Where you have to be careful is whether paying the settlement amount includes getting it taken off of your credit report. Some companies do, some don't. If that's something you want, you need to discuss that with them when making arrangements. And definitely call and talk to someone so you know exactly what's going on, don't just send a check.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:02 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Get the offer in writing, yes, it is legit. You will also have to pay taxes on any amount that is forgiven. Don't forget this come tax time next year.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• DO SOME RESEARCH ON THAT
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Read all the fine print and do the research and find the answers. Before you send anyone any of your hard earned monies. And be careful who you get any personal imformation, too. Good luck.
    guesswho123

Answer by guesswho123 at 9:26 AM on Mar. 2, 2011