Whats the cheapest you planned a family vacation for?..whered you go.. and how long did you stay?

My husband & I are really wanting to take out 3 girls and little boy somewhere this summer.. for maybe up to a week.. no longer! We arent sure where to go yet.. & we are trying to find the cheapest way to make it happen.. my husband and oldest daughter have had lots of health issues so we have tons of medical bills..........but they desperately need a break from here & I know with as much effort as I want to put into making it happen.. we can do it w/o breaking the bank.

We live in Ohio.. so of course we will be driving anywhere.. Florida is the farthest we'd go! Its about 14 hours away!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Travel

• My husband and I recently went to Vegas, left our son at home of course, and we were gone for 4 days and bought a package deal for 600 and that included airfare!
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• howd you do that? thats awesome!! my hubby wants to go to Vegas for our anniversary haha!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We bought a few months ahead of time and it was super cheap. We stayed at a super nice hotel and got tickets for a few shows included..
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• You can always do stay-cations. Thats what we do when we dont have alot of money and need to get away. Basically its going somewhere within driving distance for the day, or two. We live an hour or so from an amusement park and have gone the night before, stayed in a hotel, let the kids swim at the pool, then spent the day at the park. Then back to the hotel more swimming, and resting and home.

Answer by gemgem at 4:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• The cheapest family vacation we have taken cost us about $700-800. Our vacations are usually for 5 nights for a family of 4. We went to Santa Claus, IN and camped at Lake Rudolph. The fact that we camped saved us a lot of money. We bought 2 day tickets for Holiday World (amusement park) and Splashin Safari (water park). After spending 2 days at the parks, we spent the rest of our vacation at the campground. The campground has free putt putt golf & pool. Our expenses included a golf cart rental for one day at the campground, gem mining at the campstore, and a paddle boat rental. We also went one evening to a drive in theater which cost about $20 for tickets & popcorn. We usually take our own drinks & candy for the movie. We ate at the parks, but the rest of our meals were fixed at the campground. It is a nice place to visit.
    soccermom0002

Answer by soccermom0002 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• go to Cedar Point or Sea World. I'm originally from Oh and have spent many a summer at both places also one summer we took a drive to the Henry Ford Museum in Dearfiled MI
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 5:17 PM on Mar. 2, 2011

• Cheapest family vacation cost us about $50 bucks and we went camping with free fishing and almost had the whole camp site to ourselves..fun fun fun
    dusty1962

Answer by dusty1962 at 7:08 PM on Mar. 19, 2011