Did you potty train your son to sit or stand?

My sister's five year old always stands to pee, so of course it goes all over the place. I can't stand using the main bathroom in her house, but she always seems annoyed when I use the one in the master bathroom. If I have a son, I will NOT allow him to stand!

Trekkie

Asked by Trekkie at 3:51 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I made all three of mine sit to pee. I think it makes more sense to have them sit, if they are already sitting, they will eventually poop on the potty. My boys always learned to poop on the potty early. I know several other people who's children refused to poop in the potty... and guess what... their kids were the ones that stand to pee.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:54 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Our son stands and is good at it. He's never peeing all over the place so it just depends on the child.
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• first sit
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• he sat for a year, mainly because no matter what I did he wouldnt do it standing up! Both my brothers, a cousin and 2 nephews tried showing him how to pee standing up, but he wouldn't do it til his daddy came home from deployment and showed him how. He doesnt have a problem missing the toilet anymore, he is 4.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• First we taught him to sit...but then he insisted on standing 'like daddy' so we let him do that but taught him to aim.

but now he refuses to use his potty and does this weird crouching thing on our toilet, it looks ridiculous, but hey, at least its not in his pants!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 4:00 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I started my boys with sitting at first, with the exception of public pottys...then they will stand to pee.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• We potty trained to sit first... he sometimes would pee and poop at the same time so it made life easier that way! When he was older, he learned to pee standing up on his own.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Sitting at first and eventually they just started standing.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:56 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Always sitting, in time they learn to stand.

Answer by gemgem at 3:58 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• My oldest son decided to learn standing on his own, he was scared to sit down for the longest time just to pee, then he sat down one day to poop and after that wasn't scared to sit to go poop but still stood to pee. My youngest has been starting potty training at a pace he's ready for and he's used the potty 4 times peeing already a few standing and some sitting so I'm super excited. Daddy is helping him so it's easier for him to be shown and catch on I think, lol.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 1, 2011