Is he hungry or just wakes up ?

My 6 month old wakes up around 12am and then around 4am for a bottle . and im trying to get him to wake up only once and get him to sleep thru the night . im going to start with the cry it out method . but my question is when he wakes around 12 is he really hungry or does he just wake up because he is used to it . so will it hurt if i dont give him a bottle and just let him cry it out ?

des11987

Asked by des11987 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think maybe you should try it for one night and see how he does and then if she still does it maybe he is hungry so i would try feeding him the next night like around 10 or so and see if he still wakes up crying for a bottle my lil girl started doing that too so i thought she was hungry but all she wanted was too be rocked back too sleep. but good luck hope it works out for you.
    snmh11510

Answer by snmh11510 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would give him the bottle at 12 and maybe a little extra go maybe he will sleep until 6 am.
    PILLOWTALK123

Answer by PILLOWTALK123 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• This early? See if you can soothe baby back to sleep without a bottle. If you can't, baby is still hungry. I honestly would expect him to NEED to eat at this age. Sleeping through the night is a mere five hours.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would ask the pediatricians advice on it. I know with my daughter (who is 2 now) woke for one bottle at night until she was about 11 months old. But I do think it was more for comfort than actually needing it for nutrition,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:04 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Could you really lay in bed listening to him cry? I never did CIO.
    Anonymous

• I think each child is different. My 10 month old (who is my 4th baby) still gets up 2 times, once at 1 am and then again at 5 am to nurse. My other 3 boys were all different at when they slept through the night. My oldest started to sleep through the night at arond 9 months old and he was the one who did it the earliest out of the 4. I agree with qdiamante about trying to soothe baby back to sleep without a bottle and if you cant, baby is still hungy. At this point i think my 10month old wakes up twice still and wants to nurse out of comfort, but i feed him anyway...it is the only quiet time him and i get with having 3 older brothers all around 18months apart...lol
    team21

Answer by team21 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011