At 4 or 5 weeks should there be a corpus luteum?

I've been replaying all the possible scenarios from a scary doctor's visit yesterday and I can't figure out what happened.

I had an ultrasound and the doctor didn't say it was weird in any way.
The baby measured 4 weeks 6 days, and that's exactly what I expected based on my ovulation date 2/9.

Because I had some spotting on Saturday the doctor said maybe the pregnancy was ectopic - but shouldn't she have been able to see that from the ultrasound?

I am having blood work done to monitor change in hcg from Monday to Wednesday, so hopefully that clears things up.

The only thing that seemed odd was that when the sonographer performed the exam I never saw her mark off anything like cyst (I have had cyst problems in the past so am fairly used to the process). She measured both ovaries - but I don't remember her measuring any cysts.

Is that normal? Could the lack of a cyst be what worried my doctor?

... and I can't talk to the doctor because she sucks. I am getting a new doctor anyway... but in the mean time I would love to know your thoughts.

angelmommy11

Asked by angelmommy11 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• First of all, I'm glad you're finding an OB that you're comfortable with. That is VITAL!

Secondly, it's SO early. I really hope everything is ok but no one can really tell you much at this point. Good luck!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 7:53 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Not sure dear. Good Luck & on GL on the new Dr
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:45 AM on Mar. 2, 2011