Just wondering what would happen if . . .

we revert back to the "bartering" system, like for food and water Immediate goods and textiles ect . . .

.

msh88

Asked by msh88 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Money & Work

• In some places they do that already. I live in a small town and I know some farmers do barter. I buy meat from one and he has people who come help on the farm in exchange for meat or eggs.

Answer by gemgem at 4:12 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• That happens in some communities in our state already. Its a good way to save money and help others. Not all things will be able to used for bartering though, so learning how to control your money is still essential.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:14 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I'd be totally screwed. I am shy and terrible at negotiating
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I would absolutely love to be able to barter things I'm gonna check into ! what states are ya'll in ?
    msh88

Comment by msh88 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Some people still do, on a small scale. My sister regularly barters things like crochet projects for a massage or mani/pedi. An ex-boyfriend used to trade guitar lessons or performances for car repairs and yard work. It doesn't matter what state you're in--it's a private transaction between you and someone else. As long as you detail the terms in writing and both sign off on it. It can take a while to build a bartering relationship with someone, but once you do, you can use referrals and word-of-mouth to expand your network.
    Trekkie

Answer by Trekkie at 4:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• sooo cool
    msh88

Comment by msh88 (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Bartering is alive and well. Keep in mind that you do need to pay taxes on it.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:57 PM on Mar. 1, 2011