My 5 year old is having poop accidents

let me start by saying he was potty trained by 2 years, was early to walk (9 mo) early to talk (10 mo), rarely has had accidents in general, is overall a very intelligent kid (doing tons of math and isn't even in school yet).... and also very very sensitive.

i mention the above because at first i thought they were just regression accidents, but it's been so often lately i'm trying to figure out if there's another cause, such as stress (my husband has been taking out his stress on all of us a LOT for the past few years, and even more so lately. yelling at me, spanking them, usually over nothing, but he freaks when he has these accidents) or maybe allergies (i am very lactose intolerant, allergic to nuts and am either allergic or highly intolerant of wheat/gluten.)

wondering if anyone has any experience with this and have found a cause that may not be something you'd think of right away? because with this amount of frequency even after i've explained everything and been consistent with his punishments (he gets a half hour nap if i find poop in his butt or underwear or on his hands... usually it's been there awhile which is part of the concern)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Mar. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

• YES

My son did this when he was 6 and my son is highly intellegent...smart kid...I was at a loss for why he was doing this.

Until I figured out he had feces impaction. Meaning.....he was stopped up by hard poop that wouldnt come out....behind it was loose diareah type poop that would seep out without him even knowing!!!!

I thought he was avoiding going to the bathroom b/c he didnt want to sit there...or that he was ignoring his need to go potty....

But once I got him started on Mirilax (per Dr's orders) he became regulated with his poop and problem disappeared!

Call DR and check...but I believe one teaspoon of Mirilax added to his drink would get him going and possibly solve his issue!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:25 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• One teaspoon per day.....left that part out
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:26 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• is anyone abusing him? i only ask because my best friend is a teacher and one of her students had an issue (he was 8 though) and after the guidance counselor, the dr and the child psychologist were called for alleged child abuse. not sure of the connection, i just remember her saying thats why she sent the kid to guidance. he was picked on for having a bm in his pants consistently on certain days of the week when his uncle picked him up from school
    RyansMommie07

Answer by RyansMommie07 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• I have a 4yr old who startd peeing and pooping his pants...he was also potty traind by 2 and is fairly intelligent ....he goes to pre k..and hates it...and missed 3 weeks do to being sick..so when I took him back the 2nd day of school it all started...at first I jut got upset n cleand him up..but by the 3rd day n time it happend I got very concernd...I'm a CMA and r taught warning signs of abused and molseted children...which these were similar signs to molestation....I was very upset by this thought...so I sat him down and just straight up askd him..if anyone has touched his penis or butt at anytime (we were told not to use nicknames just incase u ever sadly do have to go to court) and he said no that only the little girls at his school touch his hair a lot cause they like his hair...so...I started watching him..he kept wetting his pants cause he wasn't lifting the toilet seat n it would leak ont his undies n pants..
    canibalkittykat

Answer by canibalkittykat at 4:27 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Is he in trouble for this? This is a medical issue. Take him to the DR. Poor kid.
    Anonymous

• So that was the pee part...as for pooping..it was extreamly cold..n apparently on lil ones if u go from warm (lk inside the home) to cold (outside in winter time) it causes them to have alil bowl movment just alil watery stool...sorry my answer was so long but I hope this gives you alil help
    canibalkittykat

Answer by canibalkittykat at 4:31 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• well when i thought he was just being lazy (when i asked why it would happen he said that he didn't want to stop playing to poop because it takes too long) i was giving him the naps and such but now i'm worried so i don't want to punish him but my husband keeps freaking "now there's no tv for two days! no treats! a nap for an hour and if i catch you again you'll stay in bed all day and we won't send you to kindergarten in september!" and he's so scared he asks me not to let daddy know, which i don't if i can help it because i'm afraid he's making it worse. but no there's no opportunity for any other sort of abuse besides DH's spanking and freaking because i am with him 24/7
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• my girl is the same way and have to give marlax and even extra fiber and those fiber gummies works good. But she does have kidney and bladder problems and a childrens doctor she sees says that can block the colon so might want to get it checked out to rule out problems first. And Of course understand and be there for them since they might have something wrong and not just doing this just because or due to stress. Plus she is to cut back on milk and I give her my milk which is lactose free and even cut back on cheese products helps as well. Email if need more help.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• Okay, my 5 yr old is fully potty trained too and does this sometimes as well. I thought he was relapsing on the potty training or something was wrong with his intestines, but I took him to doctor to find out nothing was wrong. I watched him closely and watched even more closely at the times he would do this. Come to find out when he gets in trouble..i.e. gets sent to timeout or gets something taken away for the day which he doesn't like any of it or being sent to his room which he hates, he'll throw a huge fit over it. He would poop in his pants out of anger, frustration, stress, and other emotions. Your son may be accidentally pooping in his pants due to overwhelming emotions from DH upsetting him or frightening him when he spanks him and yells at him. The stress and the fact of being frightened can do this to a child. Also, there is the chance of impaction which Miralax can clear up and you can buy o.c. ask dr for amount.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 5:17 PM on Mar. 1, 2011

• and also forgot to say her doctor says to use a stool and that helps.
    momindiana